• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PCV Valve removal

I use breathers, no problems no need to tune carb..
PCV reintroduce oil fumes into the intake and I think it's the best octane booster...
Just to be clear again...
I have a filtered, push in breather in the cover on the driver side. I want to put the same type [and identical] breather thru the fabricated rubber plug on the passenger side. to me, this would allow ample breathing [?].
Am I still missing something? It seems that I have one definite "no" vote, and a definite "yes" vote.

Keep your POSITIVE Crankcase Ventilation setup ... otherwise you'll have a sometimes ventilated crankcase or a mostly ventilated crankcase or a not so much ventilated crankcase.

To the OP.
You can run a breather on each valve cover with no problems.

The crankcase will ventilate due to it being positive pressure relative to the atmosphere.

Getting the oil up to operating temp will burn off any moisture and it will vent through the breathers.

Keep your POSITIVE Crankcase Ventilation setup ... otherwise you'll have a sometimes ventilated crankcase or a mostly ventilated crankcase or a not so much ventilated crankcase.
I believe that I have been convinced of that now...just looking for a slick way to "camouflage" it now!

A PCV setup on a street car is cheap insurance. I remember working on cars before PCVs that had the old road draft tube setups and after 1k miles the oil usually looked like brown sludge because of the high moisture content in the oil. Every heat and cooling cycle will drop moisture into the crankcase through condensation. PCV will resolve 90+% of that.

I need to make myself get on my carbs and give Gene at M/E Wagner a call too. He and his son Matt (the engineer) are GREAT on the phone and via email with tech support, and the owners manual is EXTREMELY helpful and detailed too.
Right now both of the M/E Wagner PCV valves (one on my 440+6, one on the Pontiac 421 Tripower) are set to "fixed orifice" mode because I've never taken the time to tune them. Their PCV valve fixed the problem that only developed after I changed the stock valve covers to my beautiful krinkle black aluminum fabricated MOPAR valve covers and installed a PCV valve "that fit". All of a sudden I had oil leaks and at highway and race track operations oil spritzing/leaking out of my breather. The M/E Wagner PCV valve fixed that!
I can recommend it to EVERYONE whether or not you have any problems with the PCV valve you have now, this will take you to a higher level of performance all around!
:thumbsup:
:lowdown::lowdown::lowdown:
View attachment 675400

Biomedthechguy- I'm interested in this PVC and have seen it before. I too have MP valve covers on my engine with ZERO miles on the engine (soon will be road worthy) and look at picture attached. It has a PVC installed in the location. My question is about tuning it to the engine- So I gather to use a vacuum gauge to "tweek" it to my engine? What all is entailed?

Looking at their site it has different adapters- I'm not sure what options to purchase with the valve. I'm not at home right now but will be soon from my deployment and not at my computer to look at the article fully (I'm on my work computer :lol:. Thanks for any info and the article!

#4 Rod LH.jpg 0202181742.jpg

Biomedthechguy- I'm interested in this PVC and have seen it before. I too have MP valve covers on my engine with ZERO miles on the engine (soon will be road worthy) and look at picture attached. It has a PVC installed in the location. My question is about tuning it to the engine- So I gather to use a vacuum gauge to "tweek" it to my engine? What all is entailed?

Looking at their site it has different adapters- I'm not sure what options to purchase with the valve. I'm not at home right now but will be soon from my deployment and not at my computer to look at the article fully (I'm on my work computer :lol:. Thanks for any info and the article!

View attachment 676421 View attachment 676422
I don't think you'll need any adapter. I used one on the Pontiac 421 Tripower because I had to "lift" the PCV valve up some off of the valley pan where it goes on the 421.
On my 440, I just got a grommet that fit both the hole in the valve cover and the PCV valve shaft that goes into it.
I have to make the time to tune both of mine. The instructions are extremely detailed, and you can call or shoot an email to Gene or Matt and get the story.
GET ONE!

Biomed- I don't know the size of the grommet that is in my valve cover right now, until I get home from deployment, but would the grommet need to be changed or is it good?

thanks!

Thank you for serving our country!
I really can't answer that question.
EDIT: It looks like the grommet you have will fit, but I can't be sure.
I went from the stock valve covers to the fabbed black aluminum ones, and I just brought my valve cover and PCV valve to the auto parts store and looked at their various grommets until I found one that fit the valve cover and PCV valve shaft.
Sorry.

Last edited:
To the OP.
You can run a breather on each valve cover with no problems.

The crankcase will ventilate due to it being positive pressure relative to the atmosphere.

Getting the oil up to operating temp will burn off any moisture and it will vent through the breathers.

I agree...
I run a breather on each valve cover since 20 years on my 451 cid Dodge Charger 1967.
I don't need PCV when you have a good sealed engine with no blowby...
I must say I use the car in the best condition (summer, no short trip).
So sludge and the high moisture in the oil it's not my concern.

Eliminating the PCV valve system is a really bad idea in my and others opinion.
I'm not pushing you to get the M/E Wagner PCV valve (although I have one for my 440 6bbl AND my wife's Pontiac 421 Tripower). Great information on how important a PCV system is...Read this.
http://mewagner.com/?p=1706
hows the Pontiac vs mopar ever lined them up?

A breather on each valve cover provides a VENTILATED system, but NOT a POSITIVE ventilated system. I think a PCV system is well worth the positive air flow.

A breather on each valve cover provides a VENTILATED system, but NOT a POSITIVE ventilated system. I think a PCV system is well worth the positive air flow.
The crankcase is “positive” in relation to the atmosphere.

You do not need to pull a vacuum on a crankcase to vent it.

hows the Pontiac vs mopar ever lined them up?
I've beat the GTO every time, BUT...
The GTO was always hampered by an open stock 8.2 diff. About a month ago we had a Quick Performance Ford 9" based rear axle assembly installed, 3.80 ring and pinion gearset, Eaton posi, and a host of UMI performance suspension parts, and I had the 3 Rochester carbs in the Tripower rebuilt.
Unfortunately the one trip to the 1320 since that was very disappointing. While the traction was GREAT, the built 421 wasn't up to par, and then one of the carb fuel fittings started leaking.
I expect high to maybe mid 12s from the GTO once I get it sorted. My best run in my Roadrunner is a 13.3 at 106, but it too should be in the high to mid 12s. So when it comes down to it, they are very close, but when we race each other I shift my 3 pedal car better than she rows the gears in hers so.....:D

Auto Transport Service
Back