• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peddling fender tags for big bucks

Sixpactogo

Local time
10:45 PM
Reaction score
None of those look to be from desirable cars. I agree, this is ridiculous and should be against the law.
P6270039.JPG.jpg

Yeah, making such tags available will call into question the legitimacy of any car that does not have the original build sheet.

Since it is not against the law, looks like the ebay'r found a niche for himself.

It is horrible that someone can get a hold of these tags to make a car into what it never was and compete with legitimate cars with same attributes.

Selling these tags for $400.00, it is with obvious malintent that a person would pay this much for such an item, unless the tag could be perfectly matched up with factory documentation.

None of those look to be from desirable cars. I agree, this is ridiculous and should be against the law.
I bet he sells the one from the 69 Charger for big bucks.

But he has 100% positive feedback. :rofl:

My worry’s would be compounded with the screen name Hackworth.

We probably have a member by that name who will flame me now.

I do not think you can pass on or sell titles without the car legally anywhere.

I don't see a use for them unless you found out that it matched your car.
My 78 dodge magnums tag is missing and would be happy to find it. but $400 is way too much for a car that isn't worth much.

There are others who reproduce tags for parts.

A reproduction distributor tag or radiator tag will surely increase their value, but it is still a fake.

I believe this is detrimental to our hobby.

It will be hard to spot the fakes and the cars that are correct will suffer.

It should be against the law. No different than VIN swapping. I'm sure there are individuals out there peddling fender tags for desirable cars, probably copying them too. Dishonesty, it never ends.

I don't see a use for them unless you found out that it matched your car.
My 78 dodge magnums tag is missing and would be happy to find it. but $400 is way too much for a car that isn't worth much.
I agree. It is pretty obvious what these bozo's (seller and buyer) have in mind. Who else would try to sell a title and tags for any amount without the vehicle. And who else would spend $3000.00 for them without the vehicle.

There are others who reproduce tags for parts.

A reproduction distributor tag or radiator tag will surely increase their value, but it is still a fake.

I believe this is detrimental to our hobby.

It will be hard to spot the fakes and the cars that are correct will suffer.
Not just the cars. Somebody wanting a desirable car would get burned for a lot of money. Some people get emotional about " that car " , and it clouds their judgment. People who sell those cars should get a severe "blanket party"

I doubt Ebay will shut the guy down but I did bring it to their attention. They more than likely have no clue how many problems this activity creates. I know it goes on behind closed doors but this is pretty bald faced IMO.

I didn't know it was a British car!

Screenshot_20230331-172707~2.png

:rofl:

I'm taking the original tag off my coronet and putting it somewhere safe, I have a few tags from junkyard cars I saved over the years...might use a mid 70's T/C wagon tag on it just to make people scratch their heads. :lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back