• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

penetrating oil comparisons

mosquito13

Local time
6:28 PM
Reaction score
got this off roadkill kustoms
"Rusty Nuts and Bolts? Make Your Own Super Rust Penetrant!
Since its invention in 1953, WD-40 has been the go-to solution for many household and garage problems. Over the years, other companies have come up with their answer to WD-40's penetrating properties such as Liquid Wrench and Kano Kroil. Others have tried their own home-brewed concoctions in the never-ending battle against rusted nuts and bolts. Our favorite is a 50/50 mix of acetone and Dexron/Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Simply mix one part acetone and one part ATF in a re-fillable spray bottle and go to town. The idea is to thin the ATF with the acetone so it will penetrate and seep into and between surfaces. The acetone will evaporate, leaving the oil to do its job. Because the acetone evaporates so quickly, it's a good idea to mix this in small batches.

Skeptical? We were too. Then we did some poking around on Google and found that in the April 2007 issue of Machinist Workshop Magazine, they performed subjective independent testing of penetrating oils using a single steel bar with 1/2" x 20 nuts torqued to 50 ft/lbs and treated with a 10% salt water solution that was allowed to rust.

Listed are the chemicals tested and the respective required removal torque:

None

516 pounds

WD-40

238 pounds

PB Blaster

214 pounds

Liquid Wrench

127 pounds

Kano Kroil

106 pounds

50/50 Acetone / ATF

53 pounds

I'd like to see how many pounds of torque it would take by using water.

DAMN! Thanks for the tips. I've got some old snowmobile parts that I can't get apart due to the "rust-welded" nuts and bolts. WD and PB ain't cutting it,can't find "Kroil" around here,going to try the acetone/ATF trick. I'll let you know how that goes.

I used the Acetone/ATF mix to help free up a stuck 340 and it did the trick. The rings in one cylinder were rusted to the bore.

Kroil comes direct from Kano Labs in Nashville TN. Buy it once and they keep sending you specials at reduced prices. I like it a lot, especially the smell. Naw, I really DON'T sniff it (Anymore)

Auto Transport Service
Back