• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pentastar location

Oldtimer

Local time
10:10 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm the measurements (A, B and/or C) as shown in the below picture?

I found a service bulletin, also shown below, but their 9 - 1/2" measurement, leading up
from the underside of the PS fender, seems a little off to me, given the addition a chrome
rocker panel trim, which now makes trying to measure long, lower distances awkward ...

Pentastar Location 2.jpg

Below is the only service bulletin, I could find, that shows most of the measurements
a person needs to install an aftermarket 'pentastar' emblem, but I am not convinced,
their measurement 'B' upwards, from the underside of fender, applies to the 68 GTX,
which is why, I would prefer this measurement be taken, either as: (B-Top of Trim);
or (C), with both of these questioned distances - being shown above.

View attachment 262218

I have done a little of my own research.

Many related comments were found posted by: 5wndwcpe, red63440, Redpolara,
Crossram426, Propwash, Tramo, Coronet14 and others.

The best diagram, showing the correct placement of a 'Pentastar' emblem upon a
Plymouth 'GTX' was prepared in response and posted by 5wndwcpe on 170559 !

Actually, I had seen a copy of this earlier on the internet, but it was too blurry to
make out some of the measurements... This is a much clearer pic, showing all of
the needed info, but there still seems to be a little confusion re: distance (A), as
is explained below within my NOTE #1 ...

5wndwcpe's Prior Illustration:
View attachment 262387

NOTE:

Placement of the center 5/32" hole in 5wndwcpe's illustration, is contrary to what
is recommended in the 'earlier' service bulletin, where in it calls for this hole to be
drilled 5-9/16" forward of the vertical edge of PS fender, which is almost a full inch
difference in the emblem's horizontal placement... humm.

Placement of the smaller 1/8" hole in 5wndwcpe's illustration, is contrary to what
is recommended in the 'earlier' service bulletin, where in it calls for this hole to be
drilled directly above the center hole... Obviously, placement of this smaller guide
pin type hole, will depend upon which point of the pentastar, you place at the top

To avoid any issues, I would start by only drilling the center hole. Put a little shoe
polish or marking chalk on the tip of your emblems smaller pin and partially insert
the pentastar into the center hole, making sure the smaller pin and corresponding
point or tip of your pentastar are pointing directly upward. If you are bent on drill
ing the second smaller hole, evidence of it's correct placement, should be available
via the mark created during your test fitting. Otherwise, simply cut off the smaller
pin and go without it. Sealant around the main hole should prevent the pentastar
from moving anyway - the benefit being one less hole to drill in your paint job.

Others have suggested cutting off (both) pins and just gluing the emblem on.

Considering all of this information & assuming you now have your emblem in the
correct position, whether or not you choose to drill 1 or more holes, and/or glue
your pentastar on - is really whatever works best you.

At least now, I know where it goes. Well sort of... Your comments are welcome.

So... what do you think is the correct answer?

Does (A = 6 - 1/2" and C = 2 - 1/2") or (A = 5 - 9/16" and C = 2 - 1/2")

Last edited:
5wndwcpe's Prior Illustration. I had the holes all ready in my gtx and he is correct.

FYI only. Repaint, and this is a 69 Dodge. Looks like 7" ahead of the leading edge of door seam. image.jpg
The black Ribbon is for the memory of Tom Hoover.

This is a different fender, (1968 GTX) but nearly identical results. You'll notice the Pentastar was a little crooked from the factory on this one as well.

P1010187.jpgP1010188.jpg

P1010187.jpg P1010188.jpg

This may be a dumb question but is the fender original?
If so I probably had it when new , if it has been refilled when restored the Bondo might be able to be seen either with a very bright light and looking very close at the reflection. Or possibly from.thw back side of fender if not all undercoat.

If so I probably had it when new , if it has been refilled when restored the Bondo might be able to be seen either with a very bright light and looking very close at the reflection. Or possibly from.thw back side of fender if not all undercoat.
Agreed. Look for the poo worm on the inside of the fender. :thumbsup:

Some idiot welded the holes for the vinyl top and SE badges. Needed an idea where to look for welds or filler

Auto Transport Service
Back