• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Performance Ignition Advice...Accell?

Frustration

Local time
9:44 AM
Reaction score
Good day. My '69 RR uses a Mopar Performance distributor and a chrome ECU box. Had it on the car for years. RB based 496 inch engine runs mid-to-low 11's. Lately I've been burning up rotors. The car won't pull past 116 MPH. It used to turn 122 MPH. I noticed Mancini and others offer Accell, aftermarket units that claim to work better than stock. Does anyone have any experience with Accell's parts? I know they're an old name from back in the day, but haven't heard much about them lately. Any other brands to consider...Firecore? I do not want to go to an MSD due to the look.
Chicken at Walmart 2020.jpg
Car spins to 6000-6500 RPM's. Thank you in advance.

Have you looked into why the rotors are burning? Old wires, big plug gaps can cause that.

The Accel cap and rotor sets have worked on the Mopar distributors for decades now.
The cap itself is thick walled, good and heavy and has brass terminals in it.
As a matter of fact, it even closely resembles the factory tan cap if you don't look too close.
I use them since I'm not concerned about NOS and they're still reasonable:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-8320

Thanks for the tips. I run .035 gap, so I doubt that's the issue. I have a new set of Taylor wires on it, but I did make one or two too short. Buying another set this week and starting over. I'm gonna go with the Accel parts. I found an old rotor in a spare distributor I had in my stash. It's in the car now. Planning to take a spin after lunch. That one was much thicker in the plastic area, but no manufacturer's name on the part.

Thanks for the tips. I run .035 gap, so I doubt that's the issue. I have a new set of Taylor wires on it, but I did make one or two too short. Buying another set this week and starting over. I'm gonna go with the Accel parts. I found an old rotor in a spare distributor I had in my stash. It's in the car now. Planning to take a spin after lunch. That one was much thicker in the plastic area, but no manufacturer's name on the part.
How did your test drive with the different rotor go?

I really like, and have used, accel cap and rotor. Quality stuff. My experience with accel goes back to big yellow super coils, and great quality point sets with stiffer, no-bounce springs. (Still got a chevy accel dual point hanging around in my garage.)
Never had any complaint with accel stuff, but.....who owns it now, and is their quality the same as it was? Is anybodies ?

Last edited:
I used to like Jacobs ignition parts, they got taken over by Accel, who is currently owned by Holley. Lots of good Jacobs stuff still on ebay.

I did not get a chance to drive the car. It started raining, and hasn't stopped. I'm hoping to get it out later today or tomorrow. It's doubtful that I'll be able to notice the difference on the street. Truthfully, I couldn't even tell that the car was off it's pace by "seat of the pants". I run mufflers and tailpipes. I was racing open header cars. I may try to get to a T n T later this season if the weather holds out.

Tom I can tell you this. I have been running the MP orange ECU with a Mallory dist and the Accel Super coil with no ballast resistor since 2011 when I put my 493 in the car. I shift about 6200 and trap about 6400. It has never missed a beat and has run 10.70's with that ign. I put MSD on it about 5 months ago because I got a good deal on the MSD box. You are more then welcome to try the orange ECU and Accel Super coil if you like as I will lend them to you. They worked great for me for alot of years and still were working great. Ron

The latest Accell cap and rotors are not of the same quality as the older ones. I know the 8320 kit with the tan cap does not have the ribs inside the cap and are cheaper quality, even the rotor is different than the old Accell stuff. One thing I always do to the rotor is put some epoxy on the rivet holding the tabs to the rotor. I have had those come apart a few times.

Tom I can tell you this. I have been running the MP orange ECU with a Mallory dist and the Accel Super coil with no ballast resistor since 2011 when I put my 493 in the car. I shift about 6200 and trap about 6400. It has never missed a beat and has run 10.70's with that ign. I put MSD on it about 5 months ago because I got a good deal on the MSD box. You are more then welcome to try the orange ECU and Accel Super coil if you like as I will lend them to you. They worked great for me for alot of years and still were working great. Ron
Thank you Ron. I appreciate your offer. I have spare orange and chrome boxes to try. I'm pretty sure it's a rotor issue. I plan to order one in the next couple of days. Problem is...I won't know if it works until I take it to the track. See you in the spring!

Follow-up post... Sitting in the garage in the rain the other night, I decided to see if an old, tach drive distributor I had would work in the road runner. Worked great. Now to find a good, cable-drive tach and cable. I also noticed that the coil wire had burned at the plug that goes into the coil. Never saw this before. It's a Blaster II. They have a special, deep terminal. Ordered up some new wires and planning to call it a day.

I have some cables and also NOS SW 5" panel mount tachs if needed.
DSC06547.JPG
DSC06548.JPG
DSC06550.JPG
DSC06551.JPG

None but never know what I fall across.

Mechanical tachs! Calling @POMONAMISSEL .
Frustration, you are aware that stewart warner, and jones-motrola/moroso use different tang styles and cables, right?
Ive got a couple moroso, but im using an old mopar electronic cast iron tach drive distributor, and i dont really want to get rid of them. Pomona missel has an absolutely amazing collection of jones tachs (his are marketed under numerous names, all made by jones-motrola [not motorola]).

Last edited:
yes jones was the one , everyone tagged on with the jones , yes i know of several different drive styles , but one of the most common was the chrysler tag drive end . and there are adapters to accommodate the different ends , if you can find them these days .
DSC00962.JPG
DSC00963.JPG
DSC00349.JPG
DSC00350.JPG
DSC00351.JPG
DSC00923.JPG
DSC00938.JPG

Awesome Tachs. I have to get some pics of the cables I have.

I have always run the Mopar Electronic ignition distributor for a trigger for a MSD 6AL box and have never had an issue.

Auto Transport Service
Back