• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

permit test

1970 roadrunner lover

Local time
3:51 PM
Reaction score
hi all i am going to take my permit test this friday and was woondering if yall had any suggestions

Big day, huh? Remember to stay calm and remember, the examiner WANTS you to pass. All you need to do is stay calm and do what he asks you to do and you will do just fine. And remember, stay calm.

keep both hands on the steering wheel. i failed me first driver's test at 16- made a turn, one handed, palming the steering wheel. i was in full control of the car. didn't matter. IMMEDIATE FAILURE. had to wait 6 months to retake my test. what a bummer that was.

keep both hands on the steering wheel. i failed me first driver's test at 16- made a turn, one handed, palming the steering wheel. i was in full control of the car. didn't matter. IMMEDIATE FAILURE. had to wait 6 months to retake my test. what a bummer that was.

Over-exaggerate looking in the mirrors and over your shoulder and checking your blind spots. My nephew did everything correctly, but some of these driving examiners can be gettin' up in years and sometimes don't notice everything and they failed him for not checking his blind spot. A half-way glance over the shoulder is not good enough. Make sure you turn and look and that they see you do it.

Also, if you have a choice, please take your test in an automatic trans car. Trying to stay calm while shifting gears when you're taking your test is just not a good idea. Especially when they ask you to parallel park. It'll be 2nd nature in a few years for you, but probably not now under pressure.

I took my test in a manual trans car. Stalled it once too. It wasnt cause for failure though. Car had a huge crack in the windshield and as soon as the instructor got in the car she said i would be allowed to take the test, but if i didnt pass, it would have to be fixed before i took it again in that car. So right off the bat the pressure was on. Passed it thank god. Other than stalling it once, i did ok.

Good Luck! Gawd,I remember mine. Didn't do so well on the "city" portion(I did pass that,though),but once we got out on the expressway,I was in my element. Much to the chagrin of the instructor,who commented "You don't have a problem going fast,do you?" How does one answer that? I just stated: "I'm comfortable with it". At that moment,there was an accident immediately in front of us,and instead of locking up the brakes,I hit the gas and (somewhat) calmly steered around it. I heard the instructor say under his breath "Damn;I'm impressed...". Made me feel good,but...the tickets I got as time went on were for-you guessed it-speeding. Haven't had a ticket in MANY years,but I still tend to drive,uh,...fast. I do pay close attention to what's going on around me,and especially look wa-a-a-ay ahead. It's saved my arse a few times.

During my test, there were kids playing football in the street, blocking our path.

The instructor said "honk the horn once", and when I did, the kid getting ready to catch the ball turned to look, missed the ball, and it hit the car, smack in the middle of the windshield.

There was also a stop sign on the back of the building, but on the LEFT side of the road.

It was the last one before completing the test.

Urban legend said that 50% of the testers did fine otherwise, but failed at the last minute because of that sign.

70 RR Lover good luck, I hope you pass the driving test with 100% score & are ultimately a safe driver afterwords, always know the laws/code, always wear you seat belts, always look both ways at all stops, always use you turn singles, be a courteous attentive driver, always check all your blind spots & mirrors, always no cell phones or no texting, no eating while driving & no overly loud music or horseplay in the car while driving, pay complete attention to your driving, stay safe... Be a good responsible young driver... Have fun, it's the freedom every youth wishes for, it's a very powerful thing you will now have control of.... Be a smart driver, stay safe & always never drive after drinking any alcohol, no matter if you think you can still drive, be the smarter young driver, especially if you can handle the responsibility properly, automobile wrecks/crashes is a very high death rate for the youth 15-17 years of age in America....

It's always good to hear about a young mopar fanatic being excited about getting a license and driving. Seems like a lot of kids couldn't care less. Good luck to you and be careful out there. :steering:

What Budnicks said! After you get the license is more important than when you're taking the test. Please please please pay extra attention while driving and don't be lazy or complacent. I know a half dozen people (me included in my inexperienced youth) that had an accident within the first year of getting their license. Luckily mine was a parking accident vs a non-moving parked car because I didn't have a good feel for the sheer size of the car I was driving. My nephew got peer pressured into hot rodding fast in his little import car up in the hills, lost control and totalled the car into a tree. Luckily he survived with minor injuries, but once you get your first scare you'll wake up real fast - let's hope that it doesn't take an "almost accident" or a real one for that to happen for you. We're speaking from experience. Cars move with a lot of weight behind them and that force is great when it comes to a stop or hits something. Just try feeling the impact of your car bumper into a fixed stop in the parking lot at only 5mph and you'll see what I mean...

One thing you've got going for you is you're already a member of FBBO! That says you already have some real appreciation for cars and classic ones at that. I have a feeling you're going to be a good driver.

70 RR Lover good luck, I hope you pass the driving test with 100% score & are ultimately a safe driver afterwords, always know the laws/code, always wear you seat belts, always look both ways at all stops, always use you turn singles, be a courteous attentive driver, always check all your blind spots & mirrors, always no cell phones or no texting, no eating while driving & no overly loud music or horseplay in the car while driving, pay complete attention to your driving, stay safe... Be a good responsible young driver... Have fun, it's the freedom every youth wishes for, it's a very powerful thing you will now have control of.... Be a smart driver, stay safe & always never drive after drinking any alcohol, no matter if you think you can still drive, be the smarter young driver, especially if you can handle the responsibility properly, automobile wrecks/crashes is a very high death rate for the youth 15-17 years of age in America....

hi all i am going to take my permit test this friday and was woondering if yall had any suggestions

I probably sounded like every other typical old-decrepitid adult, preaching at you...LOL... that has raised children & has gone thru being a "wild young man", behind the wheel of a very powerful car {my 1st car was a 68 Charger R/T} when I was young... Not really my intent, just be aware of all your surroundings stay & drive safe, be smart... Your on here, so you are probably a smart kid already to begin with... again good luck

Last edited:
A carton of cigarettes and a 5th of jack in the passenger seat could help.... :eusa_shifty:

Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back