• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stalling at temp while stopped

justanotherguy

Local time
2:06 AM
Reaction score
Howdy all,

Trying to diagnose why my 73 satellite likes to idle rough and stall at temperature when stopped (like at a red light) while in gear.

One suggestion has been making sure the carb is hooked up properly. If yall can take a look at these hoses from the edelbrock 1405 manual choke and at least let me know if it makes sense here. Also posting a photo of some of the other issues that might contribute to stalling. I'd appreciate any input and suggestions.
20240318_170956.jpg
20240318_171006.jpg
20240318_171008.jpg
20240318_171301.jpg

I see a lot of things I would correct or question. First off the basic timing and carb adjustments. They need to be as good as possible. One thing I would do is pull that carb and spacer off and check the two gaskets. There could be an issue there causing a bad vacuum leak. I would start there.

Edelbrock intake. Do you have paper gaskets on the valley pan? Quickly retorque the intake bolts.

I see what looks like black tape on the pcv hose at the carb. Get a good hose on there.
Check the spacer, timing and carb mixture as suggested and make sure all of your lines are good. Then throw a vacuum gauge on it and start it. That should tell you something..

All of the above are good suggestions & should be checked.
Need more info.
Did problem just start?
Was something changed?
Etc.

I see what looks like black tape on the pcv hose at the carb. Get a good hose on there.
Check the spacer, timing and carb mixture as suggested and make sure all of your lines are good. Then throw a vacuum gauge on it and start it. That should tell you something..
Yeah, I'll be doing that today. I took it out for about an hour drive yesterday and played with the carb after the temp was good and warmed up. The air fuel ratio seemed to be happiest on 2 and a half turns out. Didn't stall afterwards, so that's a plus.

As far as vacuum gauge, what numbers should I be looking for?

All of the above are good suggestions & should be checked.
Need more info.
Did problem just start?
Was something changed?
Etc.
I purchased the car a few months ago and haven't really done allllll that much to it. It sat for a great number of years prior to me owning it. I've done some general maintenance and pulled off the carb and rebuilt it. When I did so, I actually reused the old gasket because the new one was leaking fuel everywhere.

You'll want to see a steady needle between 17 and 20/21 indicated on the gauge. Make sure you have a good vac source that is on at idle. There are many threads on here that detail how to hook up.

Auto Transport Service
Back