• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Petty's 1968 Textured Paint "Trick"?

That roof skin look awfully flimsy. 8:24 he is stomping on it, then at 8:50 he is hitting it with an awl and it bounces off. Flexing back to the center of the panel. LOL

Last edited:
Perfect time for me to ask a question to the “Aero” experts that can answer this.
I open my windows on my 17 F150 or my 07 Charger and get blown all over on the inside of the vehicle, but when I cruise around in my 70 GTX with all the windows open I could light a match in there because it’s so calm, we’re the 68 to 70 B bodies that good aerodynamically, or were they so bad that they were just plowing such a big hole in the air?

Perfect time for me to ask a question to the “Aero” experts that can answer this.
I open my windows on my 17 F150 or my 07 Charger and get blown all over on the inside of the vehicle, but when I cruise around in my 70 GTX with all the windows open I could light a match in there because it’s so calm, we’re the 68 to 70 B bodies that good aerodynamically, or were they so bad that they were just plowing such a big hole in the air?
The latter, I'd say - these cars were not designed for aero efficiency obviously, whereas the "modern" vehicles'
designs are nothing if not rooted in fuel/aero efficiency.
Yeah, that means more buffeting inside as a result of the air getting more easily around the front ends of modern cars,
to the point of being a bit annoying at times.
On our old rides, a simple adjustment of the vent window makes all the difference - and something else seldom
mentioned with our old cars is that they had fresh air floor vents independent of the HVAC, something else missing
from modern stuff.

Jumps out during a pit stop to fix his car, hilarious!
Freakin' BOSS if you ask me - you don't see such stuff in racers these days.
Petty was serious old school for sure.
Last I can recall was a NASCAR guy - I want to say Sterling Marlin at Daytona?
Her got in all kinds of trouble for that one. :)

Try it in a Superbird or Daytona. At 120 MPH with the windows down there is absolutely no buffering air in the car it’s eerily void of wind or wind noise inside.

There's fast cars and there's fast drivers and then there's Richard Petty.
-DeltaV
:lol:

----------------------------------------------------------
Ok, there's this:

Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.
- Colin McRae

Jumps out in the pits, fixes his own car, loses two laps, still finishes 8th. Giving up was never even considered. This is what greatness looks like.

Auto Transport Service
Back