• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pics from Back in the Day

My guess then would be concurrent.

Who ripped off whom?

Quick search for 'vette returns '69.

The fair lady z, or Datsun 240z here, was basically let’s take styling cues from all the sports cars, make a cheap, reliable, awesome sports car. And they did just that. I read a story that Porsche paid off a few of the magazines because the 240 was better then the 911, and how dare a cheap Japanese car be better then German engineering!

That story musta been from the same people that claimed the japanese designed and engineered the thing too...
The Datsun L series engine is a good engine - an almost direct copy of an older Mercedes design. The IRS 'borrows' heavily from M-B also. The original styling brief was a Giugiaro concept, admittedly inspired by the E type. [the tojo 2000Gt was almost completely an E type clone] As far as the headlight treatment, the first production car using that style was the E type to the best of my knowledge. Intermeccanica and TVR had also used similar designs and the Motion cars predated the Z. Don't forget the 'Ferrari' Dinos or the 330 GTC either... Or the MGB. Or even the GT40 and Fiberfab kits for 65-6 Mustangs in concept. Who had the 'idea ' first? Hard to tell; have seen design sketches from Pininfarina and Guigiaro from the early 60s utilising that theme.

Last edited:
grotheers cuda and hauler at state line.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back