• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pictures of vintage air alternator mount on RB

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:56 AM
Reaction score
Putting vintage air on my 1967 coronet. I'm just not getting how the alternator bracket is mounted. In my scenario I have a belt dedicated to the fan, then two belts that drive the compressor and alternator. I scrolled through @Kern Dog excellent thread on vintage air installation, but not seeing any pictures of the alternator mount up close. I don't think his installation is similar to my configuration.

Pictures attached of my current alternator brackets. I'm not getting where the two bolts for the new alternator bracket go. Thanks for any help.

IMG_20240417_175212686.jpg

IMG_20240417_175218918.jpg

IMG_20240417_175212686.jpg

IMG_20240417_175348558.jpg

The 68 Satellite and my 70 Charger had similar arrangements for the pulleys and brackets. They were not correct for the 1969 and older models.

Thanks Kern.

It looks to me if I follow the instructions for mounting the alternator I no longer can drive the fan. The two bolts to mount the new alternator bracket would be where the fan drive pulley is located. I opened a tech email with vintage air and sent pictures. I'm thinking I'm the oddball customer with the TRW power steering pump that seems to not get any answers.

Last edited:
So here is an example image. The two bolts that hold the alternator bracket are the same for the mount for the fan drive pulley. Not sure how this would work.

IMG_20240417_195607.png

Thanks Kern.

It looks to me if I follow the instructions for mounting the alternator I not longer can drive the fan. The two bolts to mount the new alternator bracket would be where the fan drive pulley is located. I opened a tech email with vintage air and sent pictures. I'm thinking I'm the oddball customer with the TRW power steering pump that seems to not get any answers.
Here are some mock up pictures. It is without the P/S pump but directly matches the Charger. I just remembered that the Satellite alternator was mounted in the same relative spot but used brackets from Bouchillon.

Mock 7.jpg

Mock 4 A.JPG

Mock 5 A.JPG

Mock 9.jpg

IMG_4471.JPG

Take a look. The triangle bracket for the alternator attaches to a different point on the water pump housing. The alternator pulley lines up with the water pump pulley.

1713412831363.jpeg

Now look at the A/C placement of the alternator bracket. The green arrow shows the NON A/C mounting boss further away from the engine, the red arrow shows the A/C placement of the alternator.
1713413009232.jpeg

Mock 2.JPG

Look at how far back the left A/C belt is. It is inside the edge of the water pump mounting surface, about an inch back from where it sits in the NON A/C arrangement.

Mock 20.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, but looks like no power steering and I can't get any pictures of the fan drive pulley. Appreciate the help!
I don’t know if this will help you or not. As much as I hate serpentine I may go that route. Even with 2 belts seems like I can’t never get the belts tight enough

IMG_2094.jpeg

IMG_2095.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back