• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pilot Bushing or Pilot Bearing?

Road Grabber

Local time
5:22 PM
Reaction score
I am installing a 4 speed trans soon and wanted to look into using a pilot bearings VS pilot bushing.

I've had the last pilot bushing come out for some reason (don't know how long it took) and I wanted to look into using the bearing instead.

Anyone have opinions/experiences with them? Is one better than the other?

Any parts info would help a great deal.

Thanks in advanced

If you can find the Oilite brand bushing, go for it. The newer stuff seems too soft. I have a Roller in front of a TKO for over 10 years with no issue. Don't think I would put in anything other than a NOS Bronze or a roller.

If you can find the Oilite brand bushing, go for it. The newer stuff seems too soft. I have a Roller in front of a TKO for over 10 years with no issue. Don't think I would put in anything other than a NOS Bronze or a roller.

What’s a TKO?

Is it true rollers need to be precise alignment? Did you dial in your bell housing?

I plan on putting it behind a 500 plus HP motor. Do the rollers take punishment that you know of?

With some of the new aftermarket transmissions you may have to run a pilot bearing and dial in your bell housing to maintain the warranty. If not dealing with that, my 2 cents is I would run a bushing. As I understand it good bell housing centering is more critical with a bearing than with a bushing.

I have an old Corvette and one of the guys on the Corvette Forum who has about 40 yrs experience rebuilding transmissions, differentials and fuel injection units has posted some pictures of pilot bearings that have come apart and seized up on the transmission input and really mangled them up bad, resulting in having to replace the input gear. A sintered metal, olite pilot bushing won’t do that.

With some of the new aftermarket transmissions you may have to run a pilot bearing and dial in your bell housing to maintain the warranty. If not dealing with that, my 2 cents is I would run a bushing. As I understand it good bell housing centering is more critical with a bearing than with a bushing.

I have an old Corvette and one of the guys on the Corvette Forum who has about 40 yrs experience rebuilding transmissions, differentials and fuel injection units has posted some pictures of pilot bearings that have come apart and seized up on the transmission input and really mangled them up bad, resulting in having to replace the input gear. A sintered metal, olite pilot bushing won’t do that.

Yes I have read about bearings coming apart. Thank you for the input.

What’s a TKO?

Is it true rollers need to be precise alignment? Did you dial in your bell housing?

I plan on putting it behind a 500 plus HP motor. Do the rollers take punishment that you know of?
Tremec TKO 600 Yes Bell was dialed. Have not had a problem with the roller bearing or Trans in 10 years and it is not babied. Besides getting the bell centered it needs to be flat on the block and shimmed if needed. It all matters and makes the trans shift better, last longer and keep the warranty.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back