• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Piman Arm Help

Yep, was gonna say that the reason it wasn't fitting correctly was printed in the lower left of the label.

Well, the good news is that the 20101 Rare Parts PITMAN ARM --- I S --- correct, as long as it was --- bagged, correctly....
It is certainly sad to learn that Rare Parts, who are pricey, has now farmed out manufacture to Taiwan.... Ouch....

The bad news, is what I imagine you spent for that, priced out through an outsourcing independent (basically newer car parts) auto parts
store.... did they make you pay in full up front ??? And as a special order, are they even going to take it back , without issue ???

I keep roughly 6 - 10 of them in Stock, because when I get down to 3 or 4, I order 20 more --- I get the quantity price break that way.....
Of course, I am laying out $ 2000 every time I place that order......

Craig.......

EARLY B ---
You were typing at the same time as I was... At $ 75, that --- I S --- the Chineseum one.... That is --- under --- what I pay for mine,
And remember, he is undoubtedly making money on it, I would presume....
Craig......

EARLY B ---
You were typing at the same time as I was... At $ 75, that --- I S --- the Chineseum one.... That is --- under --- what I pay for mine,
Craig......
I paid over $200 for the rare parts pitman! and yes, they told me when ordering that I could return it for money back, minus shipping costs of course

Well, the good news is that the 20101 Rare Parts PITMAN ARM --- I S --- correct, as long as it was --- bagged, correctly....
It is certainly sad to learn that Rare Parts, who are pricey, has now farmed out manufacture to Taiwan.... Ouch....

The bad news, is what I imagine you spent for that, priced out through an outsourcing independent (basically newer car parts) auto parts
store.... did they make you pay in full up front ??? And as a special order, are they even going to take it back , without issue ???

I keep roughly 6 - 10 of them in Stock, because when I get down to 3 or 4, I order 20 more --- I get the quantity price break that way.....
Of course, I am laying out $ 2000 every time I place that order......

Craig.......
if this rare parts pitman is correct, why doesn't it line up when installed?

Return it !! Buy one from Mobile Parts on this site. You will get the right part and support member on this site.

EARLY B ---
Craig......
I sent you PM on the Moog. Please respond so I can order it.

I'd check what early b suggested. Get your steering wheel to turn the same amount of turns right and left. Make sure the shaft the pitman arm goes on is centered as well. See how it lines up with the steering link. You might have to shorten one tie rod and lengthen the other. Someone probably screwed up the tie rod lengths before you bought it. I went through this in my truck. The alignment tech said I have the wrong pitman arm and he couldn't align it. The steering wheel would turn 2 1/2 turns one way and 3 1/2 the other way and I had never noticed! Adjusting the tie rod lengths fixed the problem.

Last edited:
I'd check what early b suggested. Get your steering wheel to turn the same amount of turns right and left. Make sure the shaft the pitman arm goes on is centered as well. See how it lines up with the steering link. You might have to shorten one tie rod and lengthen the other. Someone probably screwed up the tie rod lengths before you bought it. I went through this in my truck. The alignment tech said I have the wrong pitman arm and he couldn't align it. The steering wheel would turn 2 1/2 turns one way and 3 1/2 the other way and I had never noticed! Adjusting the tie rod lengths fixed the problem.
Thank you for your response. The whole reason all this started was my steering wheel was off center, so I was going to adjust tie rods to center it. Got a closer look and saw tie rods needed replaced. Removed old tie rods and then noticed Pitman was shot as well. Tried to install Pitman I bought, and it won't center to where it needs to be. As you know Pitman can only go on one way correctly. Once proper Pitman is installed and centered, I WILL give it a try. I will need alignment once complete. Thanks again!

62 Fury (and others, reading this) ,

I am glad that some people have chimed in on installation procedures --- because I don't work on cars....
I am a parts man --- and for me everything is parts numbers knowledge ( Product Knowledge # 2 ).....

Those who chime in (which could also be the 20 or more, through the years on this site) who have installed one of mine, can assist you
on re-aligning a new one on your vehicle , and hands-on knowledge is ( Product Knowledge # 1) .....

I will look at your P.M. next.....

For all those reading this, I offer my U.S.A. made 1962 - 1970 " B " Body PITMAN ARM @ $ 129 --- and it fits in the Small If It Fits, It Ships box, which is
$ 10.40 now === $ 129 + $ 10 = $ 139 total shipped in the U.S. 50 states.....

Craig......

62 Fury (and others, reading this) ,

I am glad that some people have chimed in on installation procedures --- because I don't work on cars....
I am a parts man --- and for me everything is parts numbers knowledge ( Product Knowledge # 2 ).....

Those who chime in (which could also be the 20 or more, through the years on this site) who have installed one of mine, can assist you
on re-aligning a new one on your vehicle , and hands-on knowledge is ( Product Knowledge # 1) .....

I will look at your P.M. next.....

For all those reading this, I offer my U.S.A. made 1962 - 1970 " B " Body PITMAN ARM @ $ 129 --- and it fits in the Small If It Fits, It Ships box, which is
$ 10.40 now === $ 129 + $ 10 = $ 139 total shipped in the U.S. 50 states.....

Craig......
Thanks Craig. I have ordered a Made in USA Pitman Arm from mobilparts. Due to his unexpected ailments, it will take a little while to arrive but once it gets here this saga will continue...stay tuned.

I believe I have the same issue, put new pitman on and if I was only going to turn left I’d be fine.

IMG_8214.jpeg

IMG_8213.jpeg

Had a strange problem with the center link playing the violin on a header and the pitman zerk sheared off on the T-bar. On the lift noticed a slight cant on the center link. Couldn’t figure out why this happened, no visible damage, no recollection of a hard drop. Had a FFII installed wondering if this somehow could have caused it. Could be just wear. I got a pitman through mobileparts informing it was USA made, not gina chit. Installed it and all was good. Mobileparts is a great guy to deal with, fast shipping.

Had a strange problem with the center link playing the violin on a header and the pitman zerk sheared off on the T-bar. On the lift noticed a slight cant on the center link. Couldn’t figure out why this happened, no visible damage, no recollection of a hard drop. Had a FFII installed wondering if this somehow could have caused it. Could be just wear. I got a pitman through mobileparts informing it was USA made, not gina chit. Installed it and all was good. Mobileparts is a great guy to deal with, fast shipping.
I have PM’d MobileParts, just waiting for response. I can reuse the old one, just doesn’t have grease zerk.

Was away at the Rhinebeck , upstate N Y show —-
P.M.ing you presently….
Yours, Craig….

indeed! Order thru Craig @ mobilparts, he's straight up and has correct, made in USA pitmans, I ordered one from him, quality!! His number is 516-485-1935- great guy- great parts!

Auto Transport Service
Back