• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plasma Cutter

Plymouth63

Local time
7:18 PM
Reaction score
Researching which plasma cutter to purchase. I'm looking to spend around $600.00. I will use it to cut sheet metal, no thick metal, maybe 3/8". I read feed back at some sites, but you don't know if those are just plants from the seller.

Need input.
Thanks

I spent about twice your budget and picked up a Hypertherm Plasma cutter a couple years ago. By far one of the best purchases i've made for restoring cars. Makes life 10X easier than dinking around with a cutting wheel or air saw. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.

hyper.jpg

I bought a Chinese one off ebay from a company around san Francisco and it has the 50 amp plasma cutter a 200 amp stick welder and a tig welder with foot pedal and I have had it for 3 years with out any problems it has been used quite a bit I changed the plasma wand to a diferent one for 40 bucks because the consumables were much cheaper with the new wand I bought and the hoses were longer..i paid 709 bucks delivered to my door and I love it if your interested I will get the name brand and model number off it tomorrow and post it

I bought a Hobart airforce 500i it has a changeable plug so it can run of 110 or 220 volt power.

I bought a Miller. It's what the guys use in maint. and I've used it a couple times. Not sure ther is really any differance if you compair "similar" capacity and rating. The other reason I bought Miller is because of parts availablility. Good luck with your choice.

I know
I know....

I'm gonna get HELL for this...BUT...

Eastwood has got two Plasma's, one is a "budget" model and the other is an "upgrade"
And yes, they are European built (allegedly) not Chineese....

I was gonna suggest Eastwood, but Ski beat me to it. The nice thing about Eastwood stuff is you can get replacement parts at any welding supply store.

I have been itching to purchase their "combo" package...
Big Pasma cutter with big Tig on same cart.
On sale now for $1199 Free Shipping but I dont have Richard Craniums cash flow....
I was told EAB or ESB manufactuerd them

TD here too.....Cutmaster 51. Might find a used one for 600 tho.

I spent about twice your budget and picked up a Hypertherm Plasma cutter a couple years ago. By far one of the best purchases i've made for restoring cars. Makes life 10X easier than dinking around with a cutting wheel or air saw. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.

View attachment 179234

Your right as rain bud!, Every time i hear of one or see one in action i try not to explain to Sue how much time and work, even cutting materials it would save to own one, maybe someday!!

You bet Ron. I tried writing to Santa for one years ago, but all that guy seems to drop off is wool socks and toaster ovens. Finally had a good return on the taxes one year (thanks to a million hours of overtime), and could afford one. I will say my Milwaukee orbital sawzall cuts like a champ, but not with any finesse. Pull the trigger on that puppy and it's like trying to hold on to a pissed off badger.

Researching which plasma cutter to purchase. I'm looking to spend around $600.00. I will use it to cut sheet metal, no thick metal, maybe 3/8". I read feed back at some sites, but you don't know if those are just plants from the seller.

Need input.
Thanks

Hyperthem 40 anything for 600.00 is really not going to please you. Unless you can pick up a used Hyperthem or Miller. Save your money a few people buy the low cost Chinese product and get lucky. Most don't. Also if you realy wantto be impressed open the cover on a chinese unit, looks like a zoo, another good brand is Thermal Dynamics. Hey Im partial to Miller but the Hypertherm is solid stuff.

You bet Ron. I tried writing to Santa for one years ago, but all that guy seems to drop off is wool socks and toaster ovens. Finally had a good return on the taxes one year (thanks to a million hours of overtime), and could afford one. I will say my Milwaukee orbital sawzall cuts like a champ, but not with any finesse. Pull the trigger on that puppy and it's like trying to hold on to a pissed off badger.

I have to say i never held a pissed off badger lol, and someday ill grab one, I don't have a problem with the old ways of doing things but they do look inviting and much quicker! Even fun :)

These things are like a Red Rider BB Gun! You'll put your eye out!

First time I saw one in use I could not believe it. Guy did stainless sink and equipment fabrication for car washes. Same guy who got 10,000 pennies and line bored them on a drill press because he needed washers to go under the siding screws of his new huge car storage barn and galvanized washers were two cents.

mine is a lotos ct520d and it runs on 110 or 220 with no switch it knows what you have it plugged into I paid 709 bucks for it and use it all the time . it is a 50 amp plasma cutter a 200 amp stick welder and tig welder with the foot pedal I have had it for 3 years with no problems . my brother in law is a professional welder and I had him bring his argon bottle over to try the tig welder out as I have never tig welded and he said it worked as nice as his high dollar miller welded,,i looked on ebay and they have the same machine still for sale in California with free shipping for 799 bucks.... works for me...

These things are like a Red Rider BB Gun! You'll put your eye out!

First time I saw one in use I could not believe it. Guy did stainless sink and equipment fabrication for car washes. Same guy who got 10,000 pennies and line bored them on a drill press because he needed washers to go under the siding screws of his new huge car storage barn and galvanized washers were two cents.
I hope he saved some money doing that and would like to see the machining setup for it lol

Times 2. I bought the Hypertherm 30. Amazingly fast for sheet metal.

View attachment 179234

Auto Transport Service
Back