• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

please help 68gtx/edelbrock rpm performer

TBMopar

Local time
9:58 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any issues with having hood clearance if I use the edelbrock rpm performer on my 68 gtx? It is my understanding that it is 1and3/4inch taller than the performer. Hope it isnt to stupid of a question. :eusa_think: I just dont want to buy one and not be able to close my hood.....

I have an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold and 800 cfm Edelbrock carb on my '67 Charger. In order to get mine to fit, I had to find a 2-5/8" air cleaner, and I used a 1-1/2" drop air cleaner base. If you do some math, you'll notice that doesn't leave much room between the top of the carb and the cover. It clears, and it works fine, but it is really, really tight.

Now, the GTX hood is a bit different. Since you're asking this, I am guessing you have a 440 4BBL. I am not sure how the air grabber setup, if you have it, will work with this. A round air cleaner, almost certainly, would interfere. Maybe someone else knows. But in terms of clearing a hood- what I laid out is what you have to do. I've seen the same on E bodies too.

Hope it helps...

I have found the architecture of the 66/67 B body engine compartment to be the same as the 68/69 so I'm thinking if you follow the above recommendation you will be fine.

There is a very deep drop base air cleaner that will surely work http://www.speedwaymotors.com/sure-seal-air-cleaner-assembly-14-inch,1601.html I have this one, and with the short seal, I believe I can even run the STR 14-4 under the hood.

ran a 68 charger with that manifold and holley 850 dp on a 440 and ended up getting a fiberglass hood so i could cut a hole for the air cleaner.just too tight between the top of the air cleaner and the air horn for a hi horse 440.(even when i used a big drop base housing)

Are you willing to use another manifold, or must it be the Performer RPM?

I'm considering this same question for my '68 satellite with re-pop AMD hood. I don't have the air grabber hardware on mine though. Thanks to all for this info.

Does the recommended drop-base air cleaner allow clearance for the throttle linkage?

The cheap-o one from Summit that I have has little notches for an electric choke (I don't have one) and the throttle. You can position it any way you want. It clears everything for me, but I did have to use a 90 degree fitting on the fuel line so that it goes straight down off the carb. This base even clears the coil where I have it, but you will need to move it if you go deeper, like the one Meep-Meep suggests. That one looks like a nice piece, too.

2012-03-30%252020.05.20.jpg

I had a 68 RoadRunner; 440 with Performer RPM intake and Edelbrock carb. Stock aircleaner would not allow the hood to close. I had to get a drop base air cleaner with a short filter. If you have a 383 it's a little shorter so it may be close. I'd check how much clearance you have now- perhaps with putty?- then do your homework on how much higher the RPM intake is before you buy.

I'm running a edelbrock rpm intake with a holley 750 on my 440 in my 66 belvedere. I couldn't run the drop base because of where I wanted the coil and the kick down linkage was also in the way. I wanted the look of the unsilenced breather. I went down to my local auto parts store and they had a catalog with all of the different size filters. I found a filter that was a lot shorter that was the same diameter. Since the unsilenced breather top is larger the base the shorter filter dropped the lid. It's real close but the breather clears the hood. I've put about 2000 miles on it since finishing it. Fits great with the flat hood of the 66 bel. Here's a pic of when I was putting it all together. Only down side is I couldn't run the insulation pad under the hood. I just pop the hood a little after taking it on a run on a hot day.

Attachments

• aplymouthengine.jpg
    aplymouthengine.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 219
69 Coronet with power-bulge hood. 850 Demon, Edelbrock rpm, drop down cheapie cleaner from auto store. One inch spacer under carb. Hood just closes with an imprint in the hood insulation.

Thank all of you for taking the time to help. Thanks alot for the ones who sent pictures also. I am not sure exactly how to thank everyone at once,but I hope this works. I am still learning this site. And have a whole lot to learn about mopars. Hopefully my question helped some others with the same situation.

I dont really know enough to say i would use another manifold or not. Was told it was a good one. I really am just learning all of this. As in I am lost and clueless. Not to mention a very slow learner. I think I have became infected with some kind of mopar virus though that has taken over me. So I have no choice but to get to learning. First I bought a 68 gtx worked on getting it road worthy with the help of a good friend of mine. Then stripped it to the bone for a resto. In way over my head but not giving up.... It is a 440 though and the car is still in the body shop. Just trying to get the motor done and ready for when it gets back. So I cant do any fit testing or measuring yet.

not sure if anyone looked at this anymore gpuller. I dont know yet on mine. that is a good question though. I am sure the linkage will be a pain and a problem too!

I doubt a setup like that would clear stock kickdown linkage. It did not clear mine. You could probably fab a different rod to work, but I ended up with a Lokar cable (with it's own set of issues....). I needed to do that regardless to clear my headers. Also, the Edelbrock RPM manifold is really tall, and the stock linkage won't "just work" regardless. Mancini makes brackets that will allow it to work, but doesn't leave you much adjustment.

Auto Transport Service
Back