• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help on pricing 72 Roadrunner Clone

punisher66j

Local time
9:19 PM
Reaction score
Please dont bite my head off but I need opinions. I'm looking at possibly trading my 85 Crew cab dodge for this 72 Roadrunner clone. It has a older restoration and needs some rust fixed now. Comes with new rockers and quarters. It has a 440 motorhome engine rebuilt at some point in it. Runs and drives as it should. My truck is worth around 12,500 ti 15000 but trying to figure out what this is worth being not original. I hate the yellow and the yellow on the seat but that can be remidied.

received_1154285801946583.jpeg

received_1571997389893348.jpeg

received_678498157302291.jpeg

received_731593751642287.jpeg

received_5764274476954716.jpeg

received_683835426615493.jpeg

received_1207358066565457.jpeg

Put it up on a lift and check the frame and floor. Perhaps it's good that it's a clone, if it was an original and not totally rusted out, I doubt you could touch it for two times as much, but depends how much rust.

Put it up on a lift and check the frame and floor. Perhaps it's good that it's a clone, if it was an original and not totally rusted out, I doubt you could touch it for two times as much, but depends how much rust.
He says it is good but I don't know if I can just take his word. He was honest about the rockers and quarters but it comes with those. It is 5 hours from me and he wants to meet half way at a truck stop so that makes it hard to check under it. I thought about bringing drive up ramps and looking under it.

Even if it wasn’t a clone and remained as built, I like it for that value.
Does it come with both sets of wheels shown?

I would say,and I'm no expert that $12-$15000 range is ok as long as the bones and the work he has do e is good quality. I sold mine in Aug 22 for $31K.
Screenshot_20230116_054433_Gallery.jpg

I would be checking the cowl and the frame rails, maybe take a flexible camera? And check down in the cowl vents and in between the fender and the cowl for rust of areas. That all checks out straight swap is probably a pretty good deal. Personally, I like the yellow with black accents.

I don't like the way that rust looks that's coming back out.

If it were me, I'd hold out for a cleaner, less molested car.

I don't like the way that rust looks that's coming back out.

If it were me, I'd hold out for a cleaner, less molested car.
Issue with that is I can't afford a more solid car. I do agree with the rust issue, but it comes with the new rockers and quarters. I am not worried about a a concourse car just a decent looking hot rod to cruise with the kiddos.

At 12-15K, you CAN afford a more solid car as a starting point.

Patience.

At 12-15K, you CAN afford a more solid car as a starting point.

Patience.
No I can't lol, the only reason I can afford this is because it is a trade. I didn't buy my truck for 15000

Good luck

Nada Guide/JD Power says
$3,500 #3 low retail (50'er)
to $14,900 #1 high retail (10'er)
I used 72 Satellite w/440 4bbl w/no real options
(I know it didn't come with it)
just for a clue/starting point, since it's not a real RR
maybe add a bit for custom stuff/RR clone stuff
$15,000 seems OK, not way out of line

running driving Muscle Car era (72 end of it IMHO) car for around $20k
is sort of the norm now (out here anyway), it ain't 1977 no-more

need to look at it really good

I'm with you not a big fan of the yellow
(or any of the reds, it's long story, not the time or place)

20210806_093621.jpg20210806_093532.jpg20151211_150059.jpg
Hidden areas to check: front lower A-pillar areas (forward of door hinges) and just forward of rear tires, "borescope camera" is VERY good idea. These are 72 Chargers, but similar areas can be issues. GOOD LUCK!!

Remove the screens covering the vents in the cowl and feel around the bottoms of the "stacks".

The lower quarter panel bubbles look like typical b body rust. As stated check out the structural areas like the framerails and cowl,and where the bottom of the door jambs meet the rocker panels, and around the window openings. If you can unscrew the wide molding at the bottom of the windshield and look behind it,that is also a common problem area because the wide molding holds leaves dirt and debris that will cause the metal to rot out. Also check the cowl around and brake booster and master cylinder area for rust.

To me the car is worth more than the crewcab, as there are a lot more trucks made/still around, but then I'm not a Dodge Truck guy. Pics of truck might help.

As far as value goes, I think that is a good ballpark trade as long as there is not a lot of hidden rust on the Satty...... but it still seems to me that you are trading down. You don't even like the color or interior and it needs a lot expensive and labor intensive work.

That is a good looking truck. I'd be spiffing the truck up and cruizing it that rather than trading into a major project. If it was me, I would save my pennies, enjoy the truck, and buy something that isnt rusty down the line.

Auto Transport Service
Back