• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please Help with SO# on my black 68 Coronet RT

vette1986

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
Hello,
well long story short I just picked up a 1968 coronet rt and I posted it on another WIW worth section and I had several people look at the tag and pm me that "something" might be special about the car as it has an SO# that is not the normal St. Louis 1,2, or 3 prefix it is a 7 prefix. I was contacted by an individual that runs a registry for 68 St. Louis B bodies and he has looked at the tag and BS and says he can not figure it out either as it is not listed as a dealer promo or dealer executive car on the BS. But he has only seen 2 other cars that came with this 7 prefix and they were both very highly optioned cars and one was a GTX and another was a Sattelite vert.
But long story short we are stumped as to what this car is as it is a very highly optioned car with a/c, ps, pb, 3 speed wiper, special handling package, tinted windows, hood turn signals, cruise control, 3.23 sg, console with bucket seats, remote mirrors rt and lt, and the thing that makes it really different is it is a bb1 black hardtop with a gold interior and white stripe.
But the car was built on 11-30-67 and was not delivered until march 29th of 68. So this car was off the grid for quite a while, too long to be a dealer executive car or it sat on a showroom for a LONG time. Then with the special So# I was looking for anyone to help us figure out what it might be?? I am restoring the car for myself and would like to get as much info as I can as it is a stunning combo and it is a #'s matching motor, BS, tag and certicard car. I even have the original owners manual. I will attach the BS below and if anyone has any info please let me know. thanks Mike

Attachments

• bs resized.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 465
  • tag close resized.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 456
  • cert card resized.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 449
whats more impressive is that car once belonged to PAUL MCCARTNEY!

Can't help you with your mystery but I'd love to see more of the car. I have a black one with a white stripe as well but my interior is white over black and it's a Lynch Rd car.

and who knew Paul was hiding out in Omaha ? maybe thats when they thought he was dead ?

"....i read the news today, oh boy.....about a lucky man who made the grade....and though the news was rather sad....well, i just had to laugh....i saw the photograph " John Lennon 1967:headbang:

What number does your SO# start out with? They are thinking that the St. Louis plant used a different SO system than St Louis in 68. I am going to try to take some pics of it this weekend when I take it off the trailer and put it into storage till I can get started on it in a few months as I have a 71 charger rt in paint right now and can't do two at once. But I have to hang the fenders and doors and hood back on this one before pics as they had taken those off to "start" restoring the car about 15 years about. But I will see if I can snap some and get it loaded up here. The gold interior is sharp especially on the doors where it really pops out against the black.

Can't help you with your mystery but I'd love to see more of the car. I have a black one with a white stripe as well but my interior is white over black and it's a Lynch Rd car.

What number does your SO# start out with? They are thinking that the St. Louis plant used a different SO system than St Louis in 68. I am going to try to take some pics of it this weekend when I take it off the trailer and put it into storage till I can get started on it in a few months as I have a 71 charger rt in paint right now and can't do two at once. But I have to hang the fenders and doors and hood back on this one before pics as they had taken those off to "start" restoring the car about 15 years about. But I will see if I can snap some and get it loaded up here. The gold interior is sharp especially on the doors where it really pops out against the black.

Mine starts with 1.

What wheel covers are on this car? My brothers build sheet has the same 64 wheel cover code and he can't find anyone on this site or any other for that matter that knows what that means.

someone had swapped on some wider stock steel rims on the car. I think they are actually J code rims on the back which would be good. But the original wheels are gone on this one so I am not sure. I am trying to have the sheet decoded by a member on moparts as he says he should be able to tell me everything on the sheet. I do not know what the code was for the recall rims but that would be cool.

UOTE=CTMopar;909784382]What wheel covers are on this car? My brothers build sheet has the same 64 wheel cover code and he can't find anyone on this site or any other for that matter that knows what that means.[/QUOTE]

We know that the 16B is black steel 14" rims but the 64 is the mystery. I called him and he is going to check his SO# when he get s home later.

Last edited:
Had someone on moparts forward me what the code is for. It is a full sized 14 inch hubcap. Not real pretty but looks like it was a $19 option over the standard dog dishs.

We know that the 16B is black steel 14" rims but the 64 is the mystery. I called him and he is going to chech his SO# when he get s home later.

Attachments

• hubcap.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 355
Had someone on moparts forward me what the code is for. It is a full sized 14 inch hubcap. Not real pretty but looks like it was a $19 option over the standard dog dishs.

Does he know what the code was for the dog dish hubcaps? Oh yeah, my SO# starts with a "2"

I have 3 of those hub caps

Auto Transport Service
Back