• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help!

You all are talking about fuel whitch could be the most obvious BUT what your going through i had the exact same thing happen with my 318. One person asked do you have points or HEI? Because i was still running points i had a couple of issues. i replaced everything in the distributor and also noticed my vaccum advance was NOT working. check these items out take 4 asprin and email me in the morning.

yeah a bad alternator could make it run like **** cause your battery is low and you may be getting a weak spark. ignition would be weak. but if it was turning over real good when you were having that prob i wouldnt think that be it

True, but a bad alternator and low battery isn't going to cure itself so the car can/will restart in (relatively) short order

Correct 69 roadrunner!! That's why I think it's going to be with the distributor/ spark or vaccum advance issue. Who else agrees?

A bad condenser (if running points) will ruin your day. A wet distributor cap also.

The car is in the shop now. Sent it to the auto electric place that are known as the juru's with electrical issues. He found a short between the alternator and battery. Don't know alot about what he was talking about but said he is fixing it. Someone put an after market voltage meter? or something like that on it and that is what is causing the short. Should get it back in a couple days. Turns out it didnt have anything to do with fuel at all.

yeah an alternater can make it run bad like that cause there is not enuf juice making the circut for the electrical system etc;coil, points ?

yep, a ignition will fool you like that sometimes. there a pain in the *** to diagnose sometimes

Check your ignition wires spray the wires with a ",ist of water from a trigger sprayer and look for arching. Do you have electronic ignition controller or point ignition?? check rotor and cap. Or your ignition might be grounding out

Got the car back and they fixed the short. Car still isnt running like it should. How do you check to see if the vacuum advance is working?

If it was fuel the filter would have fixed the problem for a little while. It sounds like the points have closed up or burned up. If you don't have points the pick up in the distributor
is going bad. You also need to check the wiring from the switch to the coil.

Try a different condenser. I'm tellin' ya; I've had cars become undrivable because of a bad condenser. Not saying that's it for sure, but easy and cheap enough to find out.

Okay this is getting very flustrating. They fixed the short. The vacuum advance was not working also. Car is starting to run better but still not quite right. Still hesitates when you step on the gas. Is still missing. And it was pinging, knocking. Timed it a little more and it stoped pinging. But still hesitates and is missing. What else could we try? Going to check plug wires and plugs to make sure we are getting spark. The dist. does not have points. I thought it did. Could something else be wrong in the dist?

Auto Transport Service
Back