• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please remember The Fallen on Memorial Day

Gone

Local time
7:46 AM
Reaction score
memorial-day.png

No scheduled parades this year which is a shame.
There is a small cemetary in my Hamlet where we have a short remembrance every Memorial day.
Usually the school band and the boy scouts and fire companies would come by my house and march down to the cemetary.
The vets would have a short speech to honor and remember the dead with a gun salute and a moment of silence.
We did it last year without the parade and we plan to do it again this year.
It's not just a day off from work.
God bless our fallen ancestors.

Memorial Day is for remembrance of those who died in uniform.

Veteran's Day remembers those who wore the uniform.

Armed Forces Day thanks those who currently wear the uniform.

Easy way to sort the three. And, you don't wish someone "Happy Memorial Day". It is a day for somber reflection and thanks for those who gave their lives in battle for our Nation. Not an excuse to grill, and hit the lake.

The Memorial Day parade marches right down the block from me, its going to take place this year and im looking forward to it
As a member of the NYSANG in the seventies I marched in some and also drove a M-60 tank in parades while I was enlisted.
My father a member of the American Legion also marched and at the end of the parade I would meet him if I wasn't driving a tank.

The rest of the day was spent with family, not at some mall shopping

In my view, our most important holiday. If it weren't for those who gave all, there wouldn't be any other holidays.

The many soldiers in this country gave my family a better life, I will NEVER forget them and this great country. If it weren't for them I wouldn't have my wife, kids and the right to be and do the things I have done and continue to do!! God bless them all!!

It's a day where I get to make phone calls to see how the families of my guys are coping with their deaths. Sad, sad day for me and for sure not a party and BBQ day, at all. More than normally get to remember the moments and events where they gave the ultimate sacrifice for me, for you and for America. God bless and keep in eternal peace all who have fallen, from the first to the most recent.
Ghost.

Whenever I hear, all gave some, some gave all, it gives me goosebumps. As Ghost said, for many it's a very sad day that will never go away.

God bless every soldier and their families, who paid the ultimate price defending freedom!
:usflag:

I wrote this for Memorial Day last year. I will have to post the photos separately as I couldn't attach a word file.

Normandy, France

September 2019

Last fall we visited several areas of Europe. Fortunately for us, we have family members that reside in Switzerland. They are very familiar with many historical areas and modes of mass transportation, and excellent guides. This was our second trip to Europe, the first to Italy several years ago.

The story below will hopefully portray a very moving day for us, as we toured the final resting place for the many brave men and woman who served our country in WWII, as well as the battlefields of D-Day.

We started our trip in the French town of Saint Lo, which was 95% destroyed by the US bombardments in July of 1941. This bombing was intended to cut important crossroads for the German reinforcements, after the D-Day invasion. Warning leaflets were air-dropped but many were carried off target by winds. Unfortunately, many innocent civilians perished. This city was martyred as “the Capital of Ruins”. It is now a beautiful thriving city.

Using the 15th century Chateau de la Roque, now a hotel, (with the resident Bull dog Ollie) near Saint Lo as our home base for several days, we visited different sites and French villages. The first stop of the day was a guided tour to the site of Point Du Hoc.

Point Du Hoc was a very strategic high point overlooking the English Channel. The 100’ cliffs of Point Du Hoc sat between the American sectors of Utah beach and Omaha beach. The team of Rudders Rangers had the mission of scaling the cliffs in the early morning of June 6, 1941. Their mission was to disable the 155mm German guns which had a range of 20,000 yards and could cover both beaches with artillery fire. They were the first US forces to land in France. Through a series of unfortunate events, some of the companies came ashore down the beach. The remaining companies persevered using long fire station ladders from England (which proved to be too short) and grappling hooks with ¾” ropes to scale the steep cliffs. After losing 75% of the 225 Rangers who came ashore to gain the cliffs, they found that the Germans had moved the guns inland (which the Rangers destroyed) and had installed painted poles as decoys inside the gun emplacements. The Rangers did hold back the German snipers and the cliffs for several days until reinforcements arrived. Many of the Rangers received the Distinguished Service Cross for their heroism. The plaque below is inside the German lookout pill box on the point.

The craters from the allied shelling of Point Du Hoc.

One of the Point Du Hoc gun emplacements, still very intact. They sat back several hundred yards from the cliffs.

From Point Du Hoc we travelled to Omaha beach, one of the 5 beaches stretching over 50 miles of the French coastline, where a total 24,000 American, British, and Canadian forces came ashore on June 6, 1944. While there were Allied landings on Utah, Gold, Juneau, and Sword, Omaha proved to be the costliest in terms of lives lost. This was mostly due to the heavy fire, highly fortified cliffs, numerous obstacles, and land mines. There were over 2000 casualties that first day on Omaha beach, but by day’s end approximately 156,000 allied troops landed on the Normandy beaches. In less than a week, on June 11 the beaches were secure and over 300,000 troops, 50,000 vehicles, and 100,000 tons of supplies had landed.

When we visited this beach it was eerily serene, and quite beautiful, but standing there we all became very emotional picturing what our brave young men endured. It is hallowed ground indeed and my heart swelled with American pride.

Les Braves Memorial of Omaha beach. It symbolizes Wings of Hope, Rise Freedom, and Wings of Fraternity. It was commissioned by the French Government in 2004 to commemorate the 60th anniversary of D-Day.

The allies, in an engineering marvel, floated out concrete “whales” filled with air near Gold Beach and then sunk them to create an artificial Mulberry breakwater and harbor. Each Mulberry could facilitate the unloading of supply ships and the capacity to over 7000 tons of vehicles and cargo per day.

Some of the Mulberry Harbor “whales” at Gold Beach are still visible offshore.

By July 4, 1944 over 1 million men had landed on the shores and by air. By late August, northern France had been liberated and the Germans were defeated the following spring.

Finally, we traveled to the nearby American D-Day cemetery which is near Colleville-Sur-Mar, Normandy. The cemetery overlooks the English Channel and covers 172.5 acres. It is meticulously maintained and is the final resting place for American service members lost in the D-Day invasion.

Currently there are 9,388 military buried here including 4 women (2 of the WACS called CT their home), 45 pairs of brothers, and 307 unknown soldiers. For the unknown soldiers this is inscribed on their marker “Here rests in honored glory a comrade in arms known but to God” .

Theodore Roosevelt Jr., Theodore Roosevelt’s son is buried here. Preston and Robert Niland, the brothers made famous in the movie “Saving Private Ryan” rest here as well.

There is a Wall of the Missing, which commemorates 1557 servicemen whose remains were never found. Many perished in ships, or were never recovered after the battles.

The average age of the soldiers was 24.

The Wall of the Missing. There is a bronze star placed next to a name if the remains are located.

The reflecting pool and memorial statue in the background.

The white Lasa marble markers. 9,238 Latin Crosses and 151 Star of David.

May we never forget the sacrifice of these brave souls, and all the American soldiers and servicemen who have given their lives, so that we can live in freedom. God Bless America!

Gold beach.jpeg Gun inplacement Point Du Hoc.jpeg D-Day markers.jpeg Saint Lo.jpeg Point Du Hoc1.jpeg omaha.jpeg D-Day reflecting pool.jpeg Point Du Hoc Rangers.jpeg Wall of the missing.jpeg View attachment 1115664

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back