• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Please S T O P saying this" thread.

I don't have any relevant info on the question you posted, but here's a paragraph about my car along with a few pictures and an attempt to take the thread in a different direction.

Dizzy-tranny-vert-eddy just to name a few

I’m late into this forum, but here’s my list:
Man cave. Don’t EVER refer to my shop as a man cave. That makes it sound like one of those places where a bunch of guys watch tv football and drink beer and fart. This is my laboratory or shop, where I build amazing things.

Open concept. My house has rooms. Lots of them. We like them.

Hardwood floors. Most places where I’ve seen that term used they were referring to pine or spruce that was installed when the house was built as an underlay. Nowadays it also frequently refers to laminate flooring which has zero wood at all in it.

And all the usual; like, barnfind, one woman owner, restored etc.
Pine or spruce is not ‘hardwood’ They’re considered soft wood.

When a person tries to sell a tired, worn out part and the ad states “Good for a driver.”
You then have to ask yourself if your car is of the same piece of sh|t condition as this part and if your car should be considered a driver?

When a person tries to sell a tired, worn out part and the ad states “Good for a driver.”
You then have to ask yourself if your car is of the same piece of sh|t condition as this part and if your car should be considered a driver?
IMG_0086.JPG
Baby Blue, my "driver." 118,000 miles, 35 year old paint, 25 year old legendary interior. Driven to Chrysler Nationals every year. Preparing to enter her storage trailer after being driven all summer. OEM and NOS trim, no reproductions. Always referred to as a "driver" by strangers (non-Mopar guys.) Never known whether to take it as a compliment or a put down from them.

Last edited:
Someone beat me to my favorite (for a car forum, anyway) - "VIN number". It's a VIN. Period. I work at a Dodge service department and I hear it all the time, and it makes my teeth hurt it's so annoying! Ditto the "hot water heater" - why would you heat up water that's already hot?? Those, and many others, belong in the Department of Redundancy Department. Or, a Steven Wright bit (a very funny man, but with horrible stage fright - we weren't allowed to speak to him for over an hour before showtime...but after the show, seeing him fall off a sofa he was laughing so hard, was simply life-changing!).

I saw a post a ways back quoting John Astin (well, his character Buddy, anyway) - "I feel much better now". That is an amazingly sweet man. I've worked with him a number of times and he is one of the nicest, happiest, most cordial people I've ever had the pleasure to work with. He and his wife both are amazing, down-to-earth, and super-sweet. Unless you're his tour manager - who he told, after the show one night as we were having a beer and some food in a raw bar - "yeah man, that's mint sauce...load it up on there!!". (It was wasabi, and I have never seen a black man turn that shade of red before!!!) As a bonus - he once asked me "what character of mine did you like best?" - when I said "Buddy!" his eyes lit up. He had an entire backstory for Buddy, and had even gone so far as to try and sell a spinoff series to the networks, focused around him. Maybe they can work him into the proposed reboot of Night Court with Larroquette...I'll have to give John a call...hmmm.

Grammar bothers me too. I'm another Catholic school kid, and we were taught to respect the English language. Respect means taking the time to do it correctly, and not being lazy about it. So yes, crappy grammar bothers me. A LOT. People who are otherwise smart, just get lazy when it comes to speaking and writing. It's a shame - I truly believe presentation matters, and if you speak and write poorly...well...you can only make one first impression. Blaming spell-check is not an excuse.

Actually...yes. It is an excuse. It's not a reason.

Ending a sentence with a preposition - "where you at?". Where are you?. "This is where we're at". This is where we are. I'm like Mike Rowe, and his perspective on hard work - I don't do it to make people feel bad...I do it because it's worth the time and effort to do it correctly. If you're going to do it (and "it" can be anything in life)...do it right. Otherwise, why bother doing it at all? Are you going to half-*** your restoration job? Or are you going to take the time, and do it right the first time? Doing it can be a pain in the ***...doing it again just plain SUCKS!!

4d5c4af5d8132ed602e429ca5ef55916--funny-facebook-status-english-grammar.jpg

"Irregardless" - not a word. "Irrespective", or "regardless".

"To make a long story short..." Um...too late.

Favorites from another forum include "it's a MAGAZINE, not a 'clip'"...

In the end, though, we can all just try and help each other...and put forth as much effort as possible to do it the right way. Yes?

Here's to the end of 2020 - let's make 2021 a WHOLE LOT BETTER!!!!

Well said, Triplegreen500. You are not the first to voice an opinion on the importance of good spelling and grammar, but if you've taken the time to search for similar topics then you will already be prepared for a few negative comments from a minority who somehow feel that you've twisted their panties on purpose and feel it necessary to call you a "grammar Nazi" or some similar name.

Don't worry about it, I suspect that the majority here actually do appreciate sentence structure that can be clearly understood, even if they remain silent about it.

Photon - yep, I was reading through the whole thread before I posted. New member, still reading up! I figure someone's always going to get upset with me for something...it's the nature of humanity anymore, and I just let it roll off. I've been dead once - that lends quite a bit of perspective to things. I pick my battles.

I can let many things go, life is too short. But for some reason when people “seen” something it makes me crazy.
Up here, where the average level of education is around sixth grade, it’s common. “I seen one just like it” or “I seen it up town”. I’ll be fuming all afternoon now just thinking about it.

It sucks when the Wife says NO.
It's even worse when she says yes and then says no way in the middle of it.....whatever 'it' is or was....

Dizzy-tranny-vert-eddy just to name a few
Got so dizzy when the tranny....oh never mind...

Someone beat me to my favorite (for a car forum, anyway) - "VIN number". It's a VIN. Period. I work at a Dodge service department and I hear it all the time, and it makes my teeth hurt it's so annoying! Ditto the "hot water heater" - why would you heat up water that's already hot?? Those, and many others, belong in the Department of Redundancy Department.
VIN number VIN number VIN number....hot water heater hot water heater hot.....sorry sorry :D

I can let many things go, life is too short. But for some reason when people “seen” something it makes me crazy.
Up here, where the average level of education is around sixth grade, it’s common. “I seen one just like it” or “I seen it up town”. I’ll be fuming all afternoon now just thinking about it.
I says I seen it a million times I seen I seen it! So sick of seein it.....

Y'all pluize xcuse me today....purty please. It's the last day of the year to go freakin nuts!

To mucha likea englisha class I’m a leaving.

I see that term as one that means that the part has cosmetic flaws but functions well.
How would you define used parts?

Ditto the "hot water heater" - why would you heat up water that's already hot?? Those, and many others, belong in the Department of Redundancy Department.

My car uses hot water to warm the interior. This is a "hot water heater". "Hot water" is an adjective describing the type of heater.

How often have you heard a car heater referred to as a "hot water heater"? Seriously...last I checked, the common name for that is a "heater core", or in technical terms, a "heat exchanger" since it is a unit that takes heat from within, and exchanges it with the surrounding environment.

Now, how often have you heard a water heater for a house, referred to as a "hot water heater"? A unit that, by design, does NOT heat any of its surroundings but is designed only to heat water for use in faucets?

One, is a stretch to try and be argumentative.

The other, is poor grammar and flat-out incorrect.

Now who's being argumentative. I just copied from a link of proper terminology. I'm just a poor dumbass trying to get by. Google hot water heater and see what comes up, Lowes sells them, of course they may be just catering to people who just don't get it. I didn't say you were wrong, just stating that many see it apparently wrong.

Auto Transport Service
Back