• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plug wires falling off while driving

ToddMcF2002

Local time
5:26 PM
Reaction score
Maybe this will help someone. Cause of plug wires falling off my GTX. MSD Superconductor 8.5's and Autolite 85's.

My experience is push them hard and they will lock in. If I do not hear or feel the locking I know it is not seated. Some require more effort but they will pop on. Just make sure the center conductor is not to long and into the seating portion as that can take up space and make it harder to snap in.

at :48 - :51 you can see I fully seat the thing and it pops right off. The other connector "likes" the plug just fine. You'll never get a positive lock in using that connector on these plugs. I'm going to source some new MSD connectors and 85's and make sure they lock before redoing the wire.

at :48 - :51 you can see I fully seat the thing and it pops right off. The other connector "likes" the plug just fine. You'll never get a positive lock in using that connector on these plugs. I'm going to source some new MSD connectors and 85's and make sure they lock before redoing the wire.
Get rid of those Autolites! They obviously changed the ends.

MSD wires are crap!

The clips in the connectors are of a mild steel or a steel without much memory. They open when installing them but don't fully close back to their original shape making them loose. How would you like to experience this during a cam break in? Brand new wires falling off when it's most crucial.

I immediately bought a set of Fire Core wires and trashed the pos MSDs. The Fire Core ends have stainless steel clips that don't loose their clamping force.

I bought a shitty set from Richard E-berg. When I’m in line at a drive thru... they get so hot they fall off. :D

I look at the distance from the terminal to the ceramic at :37 and on :51 you can clearly see it is not as far. Lot bigger gap from the terminal to the insulator.

You Mopar guys want to send me a Mopar fender cover I promise all future videos to feature it prominently :)

Auto Transport Service
Back