• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plug wires

Thanks, great info. I'll be getting the car tomorrow or Friday morning, so have been waiting, figuring I would need the coil wire length, but if they saved your order they should know exactly what I need. Curious what NOS wire set did you buy to get the correct measurements? I bought a set from Classic for my 73 Charger small block once, and several wires were too short. They admitted they knew it when they sold it to me, but only offered me 10% off a second set so that I would have enough wires. I haven't bought anything from them since!

I’m searching the PN of the set i got somewhere between my files because I’m away from home to check the NOS set box personally or my 74 Part catalog but searching the info found the measurements I sent to firecore to make mine... from center of terminals between them as firecore request

Coil---9"
1-----22 1/4"----90º boot ( cylinder 2 )
2-----25----90º boot ( cylinder 4 )
3-----31 1/4"----90º boot ( cylinder 6 )
4-----40 1/2"----135º boot ( cylinder 8 )
5-----43 3/4" ---- 90º boot ( cylinder 1 )
6-----48" 1/2" ---- 90º boot ( cylinder 3 )
7-----55 3/4"----90º boot ( cylinder 5 )
8-----56 1/2"----135º boot ( cylinder 7 )

I’m telling you request for the old order I sent ( back in 2012 ) because if you send measurements maybe could charge some extra fee making them as a custom set, while maybe if between their files you could get the regular price? Dunno

These measurements are prooved to work on 73 and lates Big Block with stock brackets and routing configuration for these years ( and Manifolds ). Its on my engine based on the NOS set I got.

Last edited:
I fired off a message to him last night since it was after hours. Did mention the forum and your name. Also the previous order. I'm sure I'll hear from him today.

Thanks!

Great, I talked to him Friday but he was at a race, asked me to call back Sunday or Monday. I didn't want to bother him today so will call him tomorrow.

Boy this 74 Charger is going to be a bear, so I'll probably be sending a lot of messages. Not sure how this this thing even ran. The #7 wire wasn't even in the plug boot, just hanging. Cheap 7mm $15 NAPA specials that didn't fit right on a 400 big block. Plugs look horrible. Took 5 AC Delco's out, then when I got to the 3,5,7 plugs the 3 plug was a different brand. Whoever put the Delco's in probably just gave up trying to get to it. I need to get a different extension to get to the 5 and 7 plugs unless you guys know a secret.

I’m searching the PN of the set i got somewhere between my files because I’m away from home to check the NOS set box personally or my 74 Part catalog but searching the info found the measurements I sent to firecore to make mine... from center of terminals between them as firecore request

Coil---9"
1-----22 1/4"----90º boot ( cylinder 2 )
2-----25----90º boot ( cylinder 4 )
3-----31 1/4"----90º boot ( cylinder 6 )
4-----40 1/2"----135º boot ( cylinder 8 )
5-----43 3/4" ---- 90º boot ( cylinder 1 )
6-----48" 1/2" ---- 90º boot ( cylinder 3 )
7-----55 3/4"----90º boot ( cylinder 5 )
8-----56 1/2"----135º boot ( cylinder 7 )

I’m telling you request for the old order I sent ( back in 2012 ) because if you send measurements maybe could charge some extra fee making them as a custom set, while maybe if between their files you could get the regular price? Dunno

These measurements are prooved to work on 73 and lates Big Block with stock brackets and routing configuration for these years ( and Manifolds ). Its on my engine based on the NOS set I got.

Not sure how this this thing even ran. The #7 wire wasn't even in the plug boot, just hanging.
(Because a Chrysler V7 still beats the other guys' V8:D)

I need to get a different extension to get to the 5 and 7 plugs unless you guys know a secret.
I use the angled box end of a regular wrench on the hex of the spark plug socket on my cylinder #s 2 and 3. (440 with TTIs and power steering). That said, you should have swivel elbows, a couple of wobble extensions of different lengths..use 1/4" drive stuff or a stubby ratchet if you have to. It's just a matter of finding the right combo of tools that works for you.
As stated, I use the wrench-on-socket for 2&3, a stubby 3/8 ratchet with a 4" wobble extension on all the rest, except on 5 and 7 I'll use a long handle ratchet for easy leverage. Changing all 8 takes me about 15 minutes, not counting checking gaps and getting anti-seize out of my ears(yeah that crap finds it's way everywhere LoL)

Last edited:
About changing spark plugs... passenger side is easy from engine bay with rachet and socket, but driver side... definitelly WAY easier from underneath the car. A loop wrench is enough to loosen and then remove it with hands

About changing spark plugs... passenger side is easy from engine bay with rachet and socket, but driver side... definitelly WAY easier from underneath the car. A loop wrench is enough to loosen and then remove it with hands

Yes I just have 5 and 7 to get to. Was thinking about trying from under the car but no lift. It is partially jacked up and on stands right now. I'll get them, I won't just leave them and change the easier ones like it looks like the last guy did. I don't own a loop wrench. Is this also known as a strap wrench? Sounds like it might be a good investment.

Thanks!

Maybe I used the wrong therm in english for the wrench name ( english is not my mother language ) but I meant this one:

223000692497_001?$product_zoom_a$.jpg

With same angled shape in fact!

BTW, the harder one is the 3 if the car still gets the stock high pressure steering pump hose. Once I had to remove it in fact because I didn’t had the wrench handy just the socket and rachet!

You can also use the spark plug socket allong with the wrench.

Maybe I used the wrong therm in english for the wrench name ( english is not my mother language ) but I meant this one:

View attachment 839109

With same angled shape in fact!

BTW, the harder one is the 3 if the car still gets the stock high pressure steering pump hose. Once I had to remove it in fact because I didn’t had the wrench handy just the socket and rachet!

You can also use the spark plug socket allong with the wrench.

Thanks, I got the three by getting the plug socket on, then reaching in with the ratchet end of a wrench and getting on the end of that socket. I couldn't move it much but I was able to loosen it then finish by hand.

Brackets needed for 73 and lates big blocks

2 M brackets attached to head bolts, one on each side
1 H1 bracket on passenger side with its plastic wire separator
1 J bracket on passenger side withs its plastic retainer
1 extra plastic wire separator for the driver side valve cover

AAAAAND

the extra bracket I pictured on the thread I posted the link WHICH IS NOT AVAILABLE AS A REPRO... Attached to the valve cover bolt down the air cleaner pan... with its plastic wire separator of course

That's all. Nothing more nothing else.

This is at least for AC cars

At the time these are being attached, think on the heat shields too.

finally found the PN of the NOS set I got

3744973 maybe superceded by 3838000 which is the PN on my 74 parts catalog. These PN were handwritten on the box decal, and got printed the 4892-H PN on it

posting the actual pics of the wires and mesurements ( found them on an email I sent to Firecore )... showing just the spark plug end, but they are of course measured correctly on the other end

IMG_0918.JPG IMG_0917.JPG IMG_0916.JPG IMG_0915.JPG IMG_0914.JPG IMG_0913.JPG IMG_0912.JPG IMG_0911.JPG IMG_0910.JPG

Brackets needed for 73 and lates big blocks

2 M brackets attached to head bolts, one on each side
1 H1 bracket on passenger side with its plastic wire separator
1 J bracket on passenger side withs its plastic retainer
1 extra plastic wire separator for the driver side valve cover

AAAAAND

the extra bracket I pictured on the thread I posted the link WHICH IS NOT AVAILABLE AS A REPRO... Attached to the valve cover bolt down the air cleaner pan... with its plastic wire separator of course

That's all. Nothing more nothing else.

This is at least for AC cars

At the time these are being attached, think on the heat shields too.
The site I'm looking at doesn't specify what brackets are what. Can you confirm?
M bracket. - https://vansauto.com/product/spark-plug-wire-bracket-big-block/
H Bracket. - https://vansauto.com/product/spark-plug-wire-bracket-69-74-big-block-2/
J Bracket - https://vansauto.com/product/spark-plug-wire-braket-72-78-big-block/. or
https://vansauto.com/product/spark-plug-wire-bracket-69-74-big-block-3/

These are for A/C big block cars since 73.

On last pic its shown one which IS NOT AVAILABLE AS REPRO ( the one down the return spring throttle cable hold by the valve cover bolt ). The valve cover bracket is welded so just need the plastic wire separator which is available separatelly

Mopar_383_440_Spark_Plug_Wire_Bracket_Loom_Routing_Installation_Guide_Page_1a.jpg

Mopar_383_440_Spark_Plug_Wire_Bracket_Loom_Routing_Installation_Guide_Page_2a.jpg

73laterssparkplugwirebracketsBBAC.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back