• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plymouth dusters ?

How do you guys feel about the 73-74 duster ? I’m thinking of getting a nova but then I realized the 73-74 is similar to the novas I like
I’m a fan of the Duster and the other Dodge offerings, the Demon and Dart Sport, not the regular Darts as the body is totally different.

I like them more because of the fast cam window and basic styling cues. Being a direct competitor to the Nova, they are similar in a few ways. For certain, Chrysler Corp. sold millions of them. For good reason as well. Cheaper, better equipped at the same price level, better mileage and faster. Be it the slant 6, 318 or the bad *** 340. It’s a win win all around.

What you may not like is the new to you handling. But it’s a smaller wheel based car so any car has a different feel. They do handle OK and upgrades and make them really super. The other thing is being they were not as pricey considering there in the compact and affordable class of competition & sales, you can here a little more noise from road debris, small rocks sound a bit bigger. LMAO!

An annoying aspect to be aware of is the change is bolt pattern size. 4 x 5 to 4-1/2 X 5 bolt pattern wheels. They lost the 8-3/4 in ‘73. Only the 7-1/4 & 8-1/4 remained. The 8-1/4 is a capable rear where 400 hp/TQ should not be an issue at all. So even a spirited driver can be done with that rear end.

Alwo being a shorter wheel base, the overall ride is a little bit more jarring than the long wheel base B bodies.
It’s not bad though!

what is your opinion? And how much can I expect to pay for a running project with minimal if any rust? Keep in mind I’m in ca so I don’t see a lot of rust

My opinion on owning one is “Try it! You just might like it!” I don’t know what your goal is when you get one. If it is mileage, they have been known to get 22 Hwy with a 318 taking it easy going down the road. Of course a high axle ratio is used. Normally that is a 2.76 or like high “2” gear used. Later year cars during the gas crunch used a 2.45 ratio rear. That ought to be good for 2 or 3 mpg’s if your easy on the gas and taller tires will help that search!

On the hot rod or drag car level, ether big or small block can be excellent. I don’t suggest the use of /6 T bars with a full weight big block, (been there done that by the way) it’s handling is t what it should be. Though I easily got used to that set up, I don’t suggest it. If you lighten up the big block with as much aluminum as you can, they get to about the weight of a stock small block. If you can get the 383/440 T bars for the Duster, go for it unless your drag racing, use the /6 or thinner bars.

Overall, it is a small and generally light car. They can get a little tubby for a compact car with all the nice additions like A/C,, P/S, P/B, disc up front, fold down rear seats and moon roof options.

The earlier the year the lighter it should be. The later years have bigger 5 mph bumpers with shock absorbers on the bumpers. These ‘73+ years can get outright chubby depending on how there equipped. But they can move out really well.

No matter the build, a great helping hand for a double duty car, no matter the performance level aid an OD trans. Minor surgery has been know for its install. Really ES stuff. The A-500, a 904 with an OD is what it is should be looked at. If someone says I have this other model, make sure it ends in RH and not RE.

Check FABO’s car for sale section out for prices before you go to eBay which is priced higher. (Though some FABO members have indeed hit there head on there stuff, others have not.) See if one fits your wallet.

The day my son in law (arms up) and I brought home a $700 Duster. A natural 2 time car. The black is not a vinyl top ripped off and painted. It’s supposed to be black up top and the body of a Butterscotch or Bahama Yellow. It’s been about 7 years. It did need a good bit of work. New floors and lower 1/4’s and trunk floor. But we didn’t care since it’s a drag car project. It came gutted. Perfect for the task at hand.

1F6DDD6C-D299-4A1C-9A30-92C711DC1C92.jpeg 9A28686B-C0BE-4D59-A779-D1C2C375259A.jpeg 18824BCF-A88B-49D8-9B81-610DE02FC886.jpeg 6019156C-6E2F-4BAB-BB20-2BC9A0AC46DE.jpeg 73C67057-FAE6-4B06-9418-4F64F7F74D61.jpeg

I like the 73/74 facelift. I like the 70-72 as well.
With a 73/74 you get electronic ignition and are more likely to get disk brakes.
You might also get a fold down rear seat, if that appeals to you.

Dusters don't have "dog tracking" problems like novas do.

Dusters are not true post coupes like novas, meaning Dusters have no post around the door window.

Duster rear wheel wells are much more generous than novas.
You can just about put any size wheel and tire on a Duster you want without modification.

Dusters handle better without suspension mods.

Dusters have more headroom.
All true good points ‘ the nova can’t go wide hmm

If the right A-body (Duster, Dart, Demon) came along that was factory Plum Crazy, I'd consider buying one.

How do you feel about the rectum as a whole???

Dude if you don’t like the thread or the question why do even waste your time ? It’s the weekend and you don’t have anything better to do that troll threads with dumb remarks for likes ?

Based on your immature mook and negative replies to this thread I’m pretty sure that’s your x ray.

If you don’t like the duster fine say that and move on but there’s no need to keep posting dumb statements to look “cool”.
This is a forum about cars and I was asking a simple question that most cars guys probably have.

I already have a b body and an e body so why not ad another mopar?

Well sorry guys I guess I can’t, because this internet goofball here thinks I should have my head examined

Are these A Body cars now considered as a B Body??? Me thinks you would have a better answer over on the For A Bodies site that is part of this MOPAR Mix!!! Personally??? Never would I even consider one over a B Body or a C Body because I have had both and prefer the B Body. And to ask about and for opinions on a CHEBBY Generic Motors car??? A fool and their money are easily parted. And yes I have also owned Generic Motors rides ...Just MHFO...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

that made no sense but okay whatever you say sir.

Just bought exactly that as a project for my youngest son (22). Good thing about '73-'74 is IF it came with factory V8, it will have front disc brakes and big bolt pattern wheels. Paid $1K for it.View attachment 1291534
Damn that was a score !
That thing looks mean !!
Yeah I went to go look at one but it was a slant 6 with power disc brakes , power steering and high energy ignition buy was a 74 but I’m still thinking it over it was a cool car

I’m a fan of the Duster and the other Dodge offerings, the Demon and Dart Sport, not the regular Darts as the body is totally different.

I like them more because of the fast cam window and basic styling cues. Being a direct competitor to the Nova, they are similar in a few ways. For certain, Chrysler Corp. sold millions of them. For good reason as well. Cheaper, better equipped at the same price level, better mileage and faster. Be it the slant 6, 318 or the bad *** 340. It’s a win win all around.

What you may not like is the new to you handling. But it’s a smaller wheel based car so any car has a different feel. They do handle OK and upgrades and make them really super. The other thing is being they were not as pricey considering there in the compact and affordable class of competition & sales, you can here a little more noise from road debris, small rocks sound a bit bigger. LMAO!

An annoying aspect to be aware of is the change is bolt pattern size. 4 x 5 to 4-1/2 X 5 bolt pattern wheels. They lost the 8-3/4 in ‘73. Only the 7-1/4 & 8-1/4 remained. The 8-1/4 is a capable rear where 400 hp/TQ should not be an issue at all. So even a spirited driver can be done with that rear end.

Alwo being a shorter wheel base, the overall ride is a little bit more jarring than the long wheel base B bodies.
It’s not bad though!

My opinion on owning one is “Try it! You just might like it!” I don’t know what your goal is when you get one. If it is mileage, they have been known to get 22 Hwy with a 318 taking it easy going down the road. Of course a high axle ratio is used. Normally that is a 2.76 or like high “2” gear used. Later year cars during the gas crunch used a 2.45 ratio rear. That ought to be good for 2 or 3 mpg’s if your easy on the gas and taller tires will help that search!

On the hot rod or drag car level, ether big or small block can be excellent. I don’t suggest the use of /6 T bars with a full weight big block, (been there done that by the way) it’s handling is t what it should be. Though I easily got used to that set up, I don’t suggest it. If you lighten up the big block with as much aluminum as you can, they get to about the weight of a stock small block. If you can get the 383/440 T bars for the Duster, go for it unless your drag racing, use the /6 or thinner bars.

Overall, it is a small and generally light car. They can get a little tubby for a compact car with all the nice additions like A/C,, P/S, P/B, disc up front, fold down rear seats and moon roof options.

The earlier the year the lighter it should be. The later years have bigger 5 mph bumpers with shock absorbers on the bumpers. These ‘73+ years can get outright chubby depending on how there equipped. But they can move out really well.

No matter the build, a great helping hand for a double duty car, no matter the performance level aid an OD trans. Minor surgery has been know for its install. Really ES stuff. The A-500, a 904 with an OD is what it is should be looked at. If someone says I have this other model, make sure it ends in RH and not RE.

Check FABO’s car for sale section out for prices before you go to eBay which is priced higher. (Though some FABO members have indeed hit there head on there stuff, others have not.) See if one fits your wallet.
All well points and we’ll said.
Growing up it’s one of the cars I would have never even thought to look at but now I start to notice all the cars I didn’t before kind of makes me wish I would have noticed them back when they were easier to find

All well points and we’ll said.
Growing up it’s one of the cars I would have never even thought to look at but now I start to notice all the cars I didn’t before kind of makes me wish I would have noticed them back when they were easier to find
Are you up for a hot rod or a resto?
Mileage master or 340 car?

OH! I’m also a B & E body owner but regularly get **** on verbally by A LOT of “OTHER” MoPar guys for the years of my cars. My ‘Cuda being a ‘73 and my B body being a ‘79 Magnum are often the point of huge disrespect from other supposed MoPar guys. I endure a lot of ding ding comments ranging from;

“Yours is not a REAL ‘Cuda. Because it’s in the crappy emissions year of low powered engine.” that also normally comes with “Sorry to hear you own a ‘73.”

I can understand not really being into a certain body style. Like the later year B Bodies. That’s OK. I get the comment, “It’s kind of cool.” As there not really digging the year and that’s fine. Other comments are closer to someone with a massive chip on there shoulder.

One guy over heard a conversation I was having when I mentioned a ‘73-‘74 Cuda, he stopped dead in his tracks and just blurts out, “What kind of asshole would by that **** year MoPar?” Yea… from a MoPar guy.

The arrogance is amazing. The Holier than thou mind set is amazing. They don’t give a crap ether. MoPar brotherhood my ***! It’s closer to an internal war. I get mucho respect from a flag saver from any brand (except the moronic crew.) on my cars.

Sorry to say, I don’t see or feel anything close to a MoPar brotherhood at all. Now a max house division is what I mostly see and feel and certainly receive.

I believe that “United we stand, divided we fall.”
And falling we are.

And then they wonder why when they go to the MoPar nationals or other meets the turn out is like rotted **** on a stick rotting away. I have more fun at general meets with all makes even with my rot box rides.

Are these A Body cars now considered as a B Body??? Me thinks you would have a better answer over on the For A Bodies site that is part of this MOPAR Mix!!! Personally??? Never would I even consider one over a B Body or a C Body because I have had both and prefer the B Body. And to ask about and for opinions on a CHEBBY Generic Motors car??? A fool and their money are easily parted. And yes I have also owned Generic Motors rides ...Just MHFO...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Im curious. Is this a pro MoPar post or anti MoPar post for the Duster?

Are you up for a hot rod or a resto?
Mileage master or 340 car?
Of like a 340 because the 340 is mythical too me especially on a lighter car like this but … I’m also weighing a 5.7 Hemi or Higher

OH! I’m also a B & E body owner but regularly get **** on verbally by A LOT of “OTHER” MoPar guys for the years of my cars. My ‘Cuda being a ‘73 and my B body being a ‘79 Magnum are often the point of huge disrespect from other supposed MoPar guys. I endure a lot of ding ding comments ranging from;

“Yours is not a REAL ‘Cuda. Because it’s in the crappy emissions year of low powered engine.” that also normally comes with “Sorry to hear you own a ‘73.”

I can understand not really being into a certain body style. Like the later year B Bodies. That’s OK. I get the comment, “It’s kind of cool.” As there not really digging the year and that’s fine. Other comments are closer to someone with a massive chip on there shoulder.

One guy over heard a conversation I was having when I mentioned a ‘73-‘74 Cuda, he stopped dead in his tracks and just blurts out, “What kind of asshole would by that **** year MoPar?” Yea… from a MoPar guy.

The arrogance is amazing. The Holier than thou mind set is amazing. They don’t give a crap ether. MoPar brotherhood my ***! It’s closer to an internal war. I get mucho respect from a flag saver from any brand (except the moronic crew.) on my cars.

Sorry to say, I don’t see or feel anything close to a MoPar brotherhood at all. Now a max house division is what I mostly see and feel and certainly receive.

I believe that “United we stand, divided we fall.”
And falling we are.

And then they wonder why when they go to the MoPar nationals or other meets the turn out is like rotted **** on a stick rotting away. I have more fun at general meets with all makes even with my rot box rides.
Exactly !! 100 percent spot on!

By the way any cuda 70-74 is a hell of a car!
I mean those e bodies that we used to pass on are high big dollar cars now.

Try finding an “affordable” 70-74 e body cuda or challenger ?
And by affordable I mean 15k-25k not many thy even run or any

Ps.

I actually have given thoughts to pick up a clean Duster. And the 73.74s are cheaper and typically optioned better.

20k will buy you an extremely nice one .

Auto Transport Service
Back