• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Points ignition to MSD digital 6AL box wiring

Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
Good afternoon, I am currently finishing the big block swap (383) on my 68 sport satellite. the original small block was running the points and ballast resistor ignition.
My question is what do I do with the old existing wiring for the ballast resistor, and where should I get my keyed power for the MSD box?
I don't really want to cut the old harness if I don't have to and , I don't want to cause any issues with leaving the wiring still hot.
any suggestion would be appreciated

1. You will be using the ballast resistor wiring
2. To get your "key on" hot wire, take BOTH the blue and the brown wire leading into the ballast resistor, splice them together, and connect them to the hot wire of the MSD (not the big red wire that goes directly to the battery, the smaller hot wire)

If instructions didn't come with the MSD unit somehow, they're online all over the place.
Just Google something like "Mopar MSD schematic" and make sure you pull up the Mopar application.
You can bridge the BR a couple different ways: invisibly from behind it by replacing the innards with a # 10 wire, or do a jumper wire.
The heavy power & ground should really be connected to the battery, but I've also used the starter relay and a double ground (MSD/engine/chassis).

IF, you don't want took cut the original harness , do like topside said with the ballast, then take the original blue wire that went to the positive side of the coil and connect it to the small red msd wire. the white msd wire is not used , the heavy red and black are connected like previously stated.

1. You will be using the ballast resistor wiring
2. To get your "key on" hot wire, take BOTH the blue and the brown wire leading into the ballast resistor, splice them together, and connect them to the hot wire of the MSD (not the big red wire that goes directly to the battery, the smaller hot wire)
Thank you, this is exactly the information I was looking for.

IF, you don't want took cut the original harness , do like topside said with the ballast, then take the original blue wire that went to the positive side of the coil and connect it to the small red msd wire. the white msd wire is not used , the heavy red and black are connected like previously stated.
Thank you for taking the time to help me:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back