• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poly 318 4 barrel intake

I know this is has been dormant for a bit, but I figured I'd let you all know I found a poly318 four barrel intake and I purchased it. I only have one crummy picture.

IMG_1597.JPG

It looks dingy, but I think it'll clean up nicely. My plan is to do the work this winter and have it ready to go once the nice cruising weather rolls around this spring.

I know this is has been dormant for a bit, but I figured I'd let you all know I found a poly318 four barrel intake and I purchased it. I only have one crummy picture.

View attachment 1178506
It looks dingy, but I think it'll clean up nicely. My plan is to do the work this winter and have it ready to go once the nice cruising weather rolls around this spring.
Good catch. That should wake up your Poly....

I am finally ready to get this leg of the journey started!
My buddy from work took the intake home last Friday to do a little cleanup on it.

318 intake before.jpeg

It cleaned up pretty good.
318 intake after.jpeg

He 3D printed a carb spacer to ensure fit and finish.
IMG_8994.JPG
IMG_8995.JPG
RTBNE9842.JPG

We're going to CNC one out of aluminum for the final product.

So I am toying with the idea of eventually converting the Fury to fuel injection using one of the popular aftermarket kits available out there today.

But first I want to go to a four barrel intake and carburetor. I've done some looking and it appears that there was an aftermarket intake for the 318 Poly available for a while, but it looks like it is no longer produced.

I don't plan to make this a race car, I'm not trying to make a ton of power, I just want something that is reliable. I'm looking for info and/or leads on a compatible intake.
I've got something that may interest you but your mailbox is full

I have a mopar cast iron 4 barrel intake on mine, works good. You can find those for $300-400 if your lucky, most will ask 5. The only problem with the new one is that its tall so you might need to cut the hood... so I've heard.
Just got one from Fresno to the door for $390 today.

I have a mopar cast iron 4 barrel intake on mine, works good. You can find those for $300-400 if your lucky, most will ask 5. The only problem with the new one is that its tall so you might need to cut the hood... so I've heard.
Hey, Evan....I tried pming you...but it's full. Just curious if I could talk you out of some pictures of your throttle bracket on your four-barrel intake?

I put a 4bbl on a 65 318 pickup. Here are a couple pictures of the linkage. The throttle spring bracket is from a LA318, just cut a leg off it. The throttle spring came from a can of parts I have, no idea where I got it. It was originally a 4 speed so the trans linkage is a combination from eBay and some parts I already had. I had to do a little welding to make some pieces work but it is dialed in very well now. Kick down and secondary's come in exactly as they should.

100_0001.JPG

100_0002.JPG

20210502_120520.jpg
20211018_121619.jpg

20220309_173611.jpg

A few photos of a similar set-up. First photo has throttle open. Last photo shows dual return springs for safety.
20230122_105947.jpg

few photos of a similar set-up. First photo has throttle open. Last photo shows dual return springs for safety.
NICE setup you have.
Early on when I bought the ’63, the guy that sold it to me had a factory 4bbl manifold and carb he was planning to put in. At some point dual exhaust was installed, only 2-inch. In ’63 the Plymouth and assume Dodge 318’s weren’t available with a 4bbl or dual exhaust. This was dropped as I understand after ’62. Installed the 4bbl, electronic ignition, and swapped the axle housing to ’65. Added 3:23 sure grip. Just these changes added the pep remarkably and drove it for another 15 years.

Came time wanting to rebuild it finding out that at some point the motor had already been bored .30 and hardened seats installed. It was a CA car so reckon someone knew hardened seats were a good idea running unleaded gas.

So motor was knocked out another .30, mild cam, solid lifters, heads, crank, etc. re-machined, some 340 parts, headers, and larger exhaust/ X-pipe. Actually, too large for this motor – 3”. Was recommended by the shop for some reason that after getting wiser about this, shouldn’t have been done. Initially after the build, had Flow Master 50’s on it that sounded nice; but drove me crazy with the volume. Installed Hemi mufflers reducing the in and out to 2.5”. New stall convertor around 2500 and switched the 3:23’s to 3:55’s. Intake manifold? Heard a bunch, as I’ve read here, that dropping the factory one wasn’t worth it for this build anyway.

Results? Definitely more power top-end. BUT, couldn’t say the giddy-up was all that different low-end. Futzed with the timing getting mis-firing at different RPM’s when vac was connected. So been running all mech advance since as it runs smoothly this way. I posted about this getting nice advice from distributor experts about the distributor curve being wrong likely thwarting low-end performance. Haven’t tackled this yet including a few other car projects that keep getting pushed off due to family matters fixing old houses and mine when time allows…add a couple of surgeries. I’ve saved those posts for when I can get to it.

I was able to reuse the 2bbl cable and kick down linkage when I swapped to a 4bbl.
Little tweak here,some bending there,trial and error,works !

Auto Transport Service
Back