• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pop's 440 is near ready to dyno.

I gotta get something to eat. But before I go 528 TQ and 590 HP. Still using the 346 iron heads.

Low compression motor within striking distance of a lot of $10k strokers. Amazing work.

Make a move to the roller? Specs?

Yeah, went to the roller, it was ground in 1967, still new in the box, something I got from Pop. 318 degrees at .017", 277 @ .050. .570" w/1.5 rockers, 105 LS. Think what it would do if we had some cranking compression, as we only have 118-120 psi. We'll soon be going to our ported Indy EZ heads and the static compression will bump to 10.4. Then we switch back to the XE285HL using the EZ heads.

I guess i know the answer already, but what value do you put on cranking pressure? Any value to trying getting it toward the 150-160 range at the sacrifice of some duration and/or overlap?

I guess i know the answer already, but what value do you put on cranking pressure? Any value to trying getting it toward the 150-160 range at the sacrifice of some duration and/or overlap?

More cranking pressure, more power. The cranking pressure will vary with elevation. Hence more power at sea level than at a higher elevation. Having tested it, 100 psi at 5000' will be 120-125 psi at sea level.

Because we are at 5000' elevation, 150 psi is what I shoot for if a pump gas car will be run at sea level. At whatever elevation you are intending to run the engine, I would aim for 175 psi for pump gas. You can run higher psi if you are an accomplished tuner. We are going to do some testing with the EZ heads and ICL when we go back to the XE285HL to see what cranking pressure we can get with different ICL's and the power differences.

There are so many variables. Just opening up the valve lash on a solid cam will increase the cranking pressure because you changed the opening and closing events with the lash/lift change. So if you open the lash and it makes more power, what gave the increase, the cranking compression, shorter duration or less lift? There are many mysteries to be solved.

So if you open the lash and it makes more power, what gave the increase, the cranking compression, shorter duration or less lift? There are many mysteries to be solved.

Fun, ain't it? I love science.

Changed to a bigger carburetor and lost 10 hp. Tearing it down and putting on the EZ heads. Leaving the roller cam in at first and then switching back to the XE285HL. Working a set of Edelbrock RPM cylinder heads for the near future.

I once had a 413 in a 65 Fury drag strip car. With the 11" (2200 RPM stall) torque converter it would bog and sputter off the line, then take off. I opened valve lash .002" , ( it was an Isky 292 duration @.510 lift), lengthened the primary tubes on the adjustable headers by 2", and advanced the cam 4 degrees. After that it would leave the line hard with out bogging, and ran 12.80s. Now after reading your thread, I realize I must have bumped cranking pressure some with the cam setting changes. And the cam advance helped low end. Interesting how small changes can make a big difference on how these motors run.

Managed to make two pulls today with the EZ heads, roller cam, Victor 440 intake and 850 Mighty Demon. 544 LB-FT and 655 HP. We had 521 LB-FT @ 4800 rpm and 521 LB-FT @ 6600 rpm with a peak of 544 LB-FT @ 5100 rpm.

Managed to make two pulls today with the EZ heads, roller cam, Victor 440 intake and 850 Mighty Demon. 544 LB-FT and 655 HP. We had 521 LB-FT @ 4800 rpm and 521 LB-FT @ 6600 rpm with a peak of 544 LB-FT @ 5100 rpm.

You mentioned 'ported' previously...anything in particular? Std port openings? Anything worth noting on valve job? Box stock victor, plenum work, matching, etc?

I take it max hp occurred at 6600?

Thanks again.

The Victor 440 is a highly modified intake we made for use on a 906 headed 500" engine that made 745 HP. The ports are nearly max wedge in height and .100" narrower than MW in width.

In my opinion the EZ head should be taken out to max wedge height immediately by removing that 'hook' in the roof right where the intake manifold bolts up.

Subsequent pulls with an Indy 3X intake and an 1140 cfm Dominator today made 552 LB-FT and 657 HP @ 6600, 658 HP @ 6700 and 652 HP @ 6800. The carburetion was lean and very lean in the rear half of the carburetor but there was no time to do any jetting.

We're pulling the 440 off the dyno and getting ready to run a 496 BB Chevy. Then we go back with Pop's 440, the EZ heads and the XE285HL camshaft.

On an iron head I always raise the top of the intake port window by about 3/16 of an inch, to remove the small jog, and smooth the flow. Top of intake manifold port has to be raised also, to match the head. My question is, IQ 52, does this need to be done on a Performer RPM head when using it with a Perf RPM Intake manifold? Ok thanks. Great job on the 440 torque and horsepower levels! Have you put any of these engines in a 1/4 mile drag race car? What kind of ET s are you seeing?

On an iron head I always raise the top of the intake port window by about 3/16 of an inch, to remove the small jog, and smooth the flow. Top of intake manifold port has to be raised also, to match the head. My question is, IQ 52, does this need to be done on a Performer RPM head when using it with a Perf RPM Intake manifold? Ok thanks. Great job on the 440 torque and horsepower levels! Have you put any of these engines in a 1/4 mile drag race car? What kind of ET s are you seeing?

No, that mismatched angle in the roof doesn't exist with the RPM to RPM stuff.

Since I've been doing this I haven't been able to afford to race. My own truck just barely limps from the house to the shop. Someday I'll get an automatic transmission into 'Tetanus' and we may try racing. He's got a 4-link and a NHRA certified cage in him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbZ8jGq6x1c

That is a great video. Love the sound of that engine winding up! I'm pretty sure that car could do well in the 1/4 mile.

It's just setting on an engine stand waiting for it's next turn on the dyno. Have the XE285HL back in and the EZ heads on with a Victor 440 intake.

Next up for the dyno is the 360 Magnum.

The Chevy turned out to be a no-go. Gotta fix it first. Did a leakdown test before firing it, 90% leakdown down on #7 cylinder. The rest of the cylinders were 12-20% leakdown without the leaky exhaust valve. The engine builder bought "ready-to-run" cylinder heads and bolted them on. That boys and girls is why you never bolt on aftermarket ready-to-run cylinder heads without having them prepped.

Auto Transport Service
Back