• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POR15 and Masking Tape.

pnora

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
Any one use POR15 with masking tape? Have a project that I would like a nice clean line. Not sure on how tape and POR work together. I assume you will have a tough time with removing the tape if it cures.

if you must apply over rust, rust bullet is far superior to por15.......at least it won't peel off in sheets

I already have it and am going to use it so its gone. Tape is my concern.

it only sticks to the rust, or blasted metal..... don't expect it to stay on anything else

it only sticks to the rust, or blasted metal..... don't expect it to stay on anything else
Doesn't even stick to rust unless it is scrubbed and cleaned!

@pnora If you tape it, you’ll have to pull it when it’s still wet I believe. Once cured it will come off in sheets/pieces.

if you must apply over rust, rust bullet is far superior to por15.......at least it won't peel off in sheets
I am not familiar with Rust Bullet. Which product could I consider ? I will be brushing it on. How does it work with masking tape?

I am not familiar with Rust Bullet. Which product could I consider ? I will be brushing it on. How does it work with masking tape?

I suppose peel the tape before it cures, pretty much like anything else...... I just know the few times I had a use for it, it worked and it stayed put

I remember it being a little on the thick side, if your worried about it getting under the tape you'll probably be ok

I suppose peel the tape before it cures, pretty much like anything else...... I just know the few times I had a use for it, it worked and it stayed put
I just need a quart of black. Which one would I buy?

Here is the por 15 nightmare I’m dealing with from the previous owner of my Swinger. You can see where the por15 peeled up when I removed a body plug. I know the the PO did an absolutely terrible job on prep, but I’m not sold on the POR15 anymore.

IMG_3268.jpeg

IMG_3270.jpeg

Last edited:
Or ppg dp40 or dp 90. Its a really good product. Used it for many years with next to no issues.
Ive never used por15. I have heard it breaks down over time though. Not something I would attempt to use on project after all the hard work has been done .

It sticks to a guys skin really good also. But otherwise, yeah it is garbage.....

Maybe I got lucky, coated the underside of my first gen Cummins years ago to protect from Chicago salt and it worked great. I didn't do any prep just brushed on frame and underside.

Maybe I got lucky, coated the underside of my first gen Cummins years ago to protect from Chicago salt and it worked great. I didn't do any prep just brushed on frame and underside.

oh, it will stick......for a little while

This was over a decade ago. Don't have the truck anymore but no issues while I owned it

Guess I got lucky too. I did an engine cradle, rear subframe, and most of the unibody on my son's car. It's holding up great... extremely tough. Also impossible to get off my concrete floor.

All the other stories have me questioning whether to use it on my current project though

pnora, remove the rust by media blast or cut it out and weld in new.
Once new steel is in place or the old is blasted clean coat with your epoxy primer sealer after clean up with a good grease and wax remover.

Years ago I contemplated using POR15 on the inside of my frame rails on my 65 Fury. Call them and they said not a good choice. If it gets thick at all it will peel or if it is not rusty (clean metal or paint) then the the surfaces need to be treated to stick. I ended up having the frame chemically cleaned and powder coated.

I did use a quart of it on misc stuff years ago with mixed results. I will not be using it again.

I used it quite a few times on different projects, with mostly poor results. The only thing it ever stuck to really well was my skin. I now refer to it as POS15. Guess what the S stands for and win a prize!

Auto Transport Service
Back