• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using 3M soft edge tape?

440beep

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
Trying to figure out if I can use 3M soft edge tape for exterior panel patch repairs. Sounds like it’s supposed to be used in door jambs and such, but I need to find something that will prevent these tape hard f’ing lines I keep getting.

Fixed some rusts spots in the door exterior corners and for the third time painting, I keep getting the hard lines. Using blue painters tape, but need something better as I’m tired of f’ing with this.

Can the soft edge tape be used for exterior panel masking? Or is there another tape that’s good for masking off and painting repaired areas?

IMG_6768.jpeg

Last edited:
You don't put the edge down on the surface, you leave it up in the air and then you don't have a hard paint line.

I assume you are using it for spot paint repairs rather than paint a whole panel. It doesn’t work real well for that. It’s better for soft edges at body peaks, fender to doorjambs, etc. On a panel spot repair, if say you anticipate applying 3 paint coats over a small repair, you need to step each successive coat out a couple inches further and use the soft edge tape to define the limits of your 3rd coat which extends furthest out. Be careful to not blow paint up under the soft edge. But it’s sometimes tough to get a good spot repair with urethanes as the tend to show a halo around the repair, especially on BC/CC, unlike the old lacquers that were easy to touch up and polish out to an invisible repair. Some single stage urethanes seem to do a little better. Good luck.

Yes, it’s a patch repair on the lower door corners. I’ll get some better tape and step each layer out. Really hope I can find the soft edge tape locally tomorrow.

I believe I ordered some on Amazon. Biggest problem I have had with it is the weak adhesive (not 3M tape however). Sometimes I have to add tape on the backside to secure it.

Like stated aboveyou need to backtape. Put down one edge of the tape. Then fold the other edge into the air. Standard masking tape works well for this.
Doug

Letting cure rest of today and will compound it tomorrow

IMG_6771.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back