• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Portable Battery Charger

bcOH67

Local time
2:11 PM
Reaction score
Hope this isn’t a dumb question- but does anyone know of a portable battery charger/maintainer that’s can be used to keep a battery at 12v while I’m working on the car? I have to store it in garage with no power available. I’ve used a charger in a friends garage that you can hook up and it will keep it at 12 while you work on it but it has to be plugged in to the wall. I’ve seen all the portable jumpers but don’t know if I just leave it attached if it will do what I’m looking for, or if those are only to start it and you have to disconnect right away. Don’t want to damage anything. Thanks for any help

How far away from the house is the garage?

A battery tender.
If you had to use it away from a outlet for some reason, you could plug it into the ac out socket in a CAT jump box.
?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

Buy a solar charger and put the panel next to or outside a window. all the
R.V. guys use these for long term when they're not using them. Pretty
inexpensive too.

Hope this isn’t a dumb question- but does anyone know of a portable battery charger/maintainer that’s can be used to keep a battery at 12v while I’m working on the car? I have to store it in garage with no power available. I’ve used a charger in a friends garage that you can hook up and it will keep it at 12 while you work on it but it has to be plugged in to the wall. I’ve seen all the portable jumpers but don’t know if I just leave it attached if it will do what I’m looking for, or if those are only to start it and you have to disconnect right away. Don’t want to damage anything. Thanks for any help
Why do you need to keep it powered up? Do you need to keep a computer or radio memory ? It isn't recommended to hook up a jumper pack and leave it hooked up.

Ok thanks for the ideas! The storage garage is about a 1/2 mile up the road. I have been doing work on the headlights (67 Charger) and they are battery killers. So I was just wondering if there’s something I could use to maintain proper charge for a little while so I can operate them as often as I need to

Already tried that mopar hunter, but there was no wind inside the garage so I couldn’t get it to work.

solar is a proposal I also agree with.....my son placed a solar cell charger/maintainer on his car trailer to keep the battery for the winch and the emergency breakaway brakes system up to full level at all times....works great....never worry about battery condition with this unit in place.

with very little human intervention wires can pass from the inside to the outside of a building....while charging in bright light is best...low light will still help to maintain the level....

Here’s a pedal generator, compact size, light weight, 120 volt interface designed for a auto battery tender. Can be used anytime through rain, snow or while under your car.

CA8DB3A1-3C02-4A3C-A7B5-FC75E3859A70.jpeg

E345D4D1-5B98-4081-A944-E72F83DFB55D.jpeg

Here is what I do. I have a cheapo HF three panel system I hook up to a battery in the shop. (of course the panels are outside) then just run long jumpers to the cars for storage. Works well for me and usually maintains 12V on it unless the panels are snow covered of course. Think I have maybe $150 in it.

Minimum for a 12 volt car battery solar charger is 60 watt.100 watt you need a minimum of 4-5 hours of sun light to charge a car battery.Anything smaller say 40 watt or less takes several days to fully charge a car battery.
I have been researching Solar chargers for the last few weeks and that is my findings.
Sounds like 493 Mike has the right idea.
Take the battery home every day and recharge it over night.
I have friends in the surveying business and use 12 volt car batteries for their equipment and that is what they do.

A jump box with a conventional battery style would work fine.
Clore has a good rating, easy to charge up just clip it on your battery or use the jumpbox instead of your battery
upload_2021-2-8_9-21-41.png

^^^^ that's a good jump pack that don posted, we have 2 at the shop both a few years on them but still work great.

Auto Transport Service
Back