• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POS aftermarket part

popslavaz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:52 PM
Reaction score
Final touches on dash,installing the dash reverse light on the '71.Slipped a socket on the nut and gave it a little snug,the front chrome piece popped off.I mean I truly lady like snugged this POS.Now it half a@@ snaps on and falls off with a little bump. $100 down the drain!!!! Its going to get epoxy treatment,when and if the chineeeese bulb burns out I will deal with it. THANKS I FEEL BETTER NOW!!!! POPS

I cannot remember the times i have said that. lol
the one thing i learned doing this is
nice used is better then new repo almost every time..

Man you are standing on a nerve with that one, I learned the hard way AT LEAST half of the aftermarket stuff is pure junk!

High priced junk......

As Frank said I would take a good used original part over a new reproduction any day.....

mechanic-smiley-emoticon.gif

Final touches on dash,installing the dash reverse light on the '71.Slipped a socket on the nut and gave it a little snug,the front chrome piece popped off.I mean I truly lady like snugged this POS.Now it half a@@ snaps on and falls off with a little bump. $100 down the drain!!!! Its going to get epoxy treatment,when and if the chineeeese bulb burns out I will deal with it. THANKS I FEEL BETTER NOW!!!! POPS
Who made / where did you buy it?

Its hard to find anything worth a crap. Been dealing with parts like most of you and everytime i iuy anything i wonder how long will it last.i can remember when i would install a part and tell myself don't need that again for at least 5 yrs. Now i wonder if i should just buy two of everything. Pricing always going up and quality dropping.

The question in my mind always sticks like this: What is so difficult about making a simple part the same or better in 2018 as in 1971? The engineering has already been done for you.

I'm waiting for the day when there are 3D Scan & Print Quick Marts on the corners.

I spent hours trying to find a direct scan and print place local so I could proof the part on site.

No luck. It all seemed to involve too any steps.
Parts are being printed out of monel.

I hear ya Pops. Bought "OE restoration" door handles for my '71. Hardware is metric. After installing, which I knew from the start that I wasn't going to keep them, one broke after operating it 2 times AND put a small chip in the paint :mob:. Got these from Classic and told them this was :bs_flag:

Can't be any worse than the Factory Holley 'refurbished' 850 Double Pumper I purchased last year. Put it on the engine, the float was stuck. Needed a new needle and seat. Accelerator pump was leaking. PV was leaking. Heli-coil stripped out after the first jet change. Obviously, the refurbishment was not by Holley in Bowling Green, KY.

I've learned over the years, buy once cry once. Every generic part I've purchased from 440 source or manufactured overseas has failed, I only purchase American made parts anymore.

Last edited:
I am skeptical of any reproduction part no matter the price. Nothing is as good as getting the original rebuilt or re plated. I have had plenty of crap luck with repop parts. Recovered 62 dash pad, cost $300 plus and peeled back in a day, repop gas pedal bends because the core is flimsy, hood emblem broke because of cheap metal and wrong sized nuts, rear window plastic trim sized wrong, etc. I'll emphasize what was said above....used oem is always better than repop. I kept most of my old, crusty parts and they still work as they should.

The question in my mind always sticks like this: What is so difficult about making a simple part the same or better in 2018 as in 1971? The engineering has already been done for you.

that will cut into profit!
like anything its all about the money.
i just consider most repo stuff as parts of last resort
and a catalog is the absolutely last place i will look for something

Bought it at the Nat's in Ohio last summer . Same one everyone sells in the books and internet. I mixed up some epoxy,put in on with a pick and small screwdriver.IT WILL NOT FALL OFF AGAIN

That is why original parts sell for what they do. You may think you get a deal on a repro part because its new. But after you have to buy several it is not cost effective.
I lost a car over a chinese upper control arm eccentric bolt. You know the ones with two flats instead of one. I had the old ones but I used the nice looking clean new ones.

DSCN2769 (2).JPG 20170520_203852.jpg

That is why original parts sell for what they do. You may think you get a deal on a repro part because its new. But after you have to buy several it is not cost effective.
I lost a car over a chinese upper control arm eccentric bolt. You know the ones with two flats instead of one. I had the old ones but I used the nice looking clean new ones.

View attachment 599044 View attachment 599045
Bolt break or flat tire or both?

Bolt break or flat tire or both?
Threads stripped on the bolt. Eccentric moved. Foot braked the car at the track with front runners so it could have moved then also. These tires were on the car from my Roadrunner for the winter months in the trailer, Took the car around the block and the tire came back hit the fender and cut it. With a spool in the car it went hard right. That was the end of that car. Insurance paid for the car but I had it since the 70's. I miss the old girl so I keep it sitting out back.

DSCN2821.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back