• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

post covid comp cam

Depending on where you buy, I would say to go roller would average around $750.00 more in expense vs a flat tappet hydraulic. Collapsing of a lifter isn’t the issue, it’s the metal wearing away on the bottom of a flat tappet lifter and sending the metal throughout the engine that I wanted to avoid.

my thing so far is the lifters going away cam seems to be ok. i marked the pushrods as i always do and thay are spinning but wondering how much longer that will be ok. hence my looking for a set of lifters that are 10 year old NOS stuff.

I was so nervous breaking in a previous flat tappet cam that I installed a roller cam set up on my most recent build.
I'm thinking that's what they want us to do....buy the more expensive hydraulic roller lifter setup. I'm wondering when they will quit making oil with ZDDP in it entirely.

I had hundreds of boxes of the Johnson lifters from the 70s but not any more

IMG_1505.jpeg

IMG_1504.jpeg

I had hundreds of boxes of the Johnson lifters from the 70s but not any more

View attachment 1517408

View attachment 1517409
I've had the old lifters laying around too.....and had the same problem with them. Hope the ones buying from you don't have that problem! It even happened in the early 70's and that was my first experience with old lifters going soft.

mite be just me .. but until the past few years i have never had a new cam or lifter fail.. i always ran isky stuff when i could find it. i still have a isky from like 30+ years ago new in the box but no lifters for it and if i remember right its a bigin. 310-ish still trying to find a listing for the number on the box
guy in town builds dirt track mills is dropping cam/lifter fails in the 10% range over the past few years

I had good service with Mopar Performance lifters in the past.

My 292/.509 cam and lifters has been in 3 different engines. Bought in the 80s, it ain't the oils (well maybe some of them) it's the material and machining.

hyd lifters , what a joke ! i rebuilt a 340 a few years ago with a hyd stick in it , had no luck with getting them adjusted , we used chrysler adjustable rockers and push rods . i went through three cases of johnsons lifters , even called them , got '' they need to bed in '' but they would never seal up the piston at the top , they all kept creeping down , even without a pushrod loaded on them . did a oil pressure test on the lifters themselves in the bores . ran the motor over three time per test , during this rotation all of them pressured up . then on the stop i could see them creep down . did this several times replacing them , even changing bores with them to make sure it wasn't a block issue . but after three cases of johnson's lifters , i purchased sealed power lifters through summit and that closed the lifter issues . so if you like i have cases of johnson hyd lifters i'm selling , i've sold some to guys with regular stamped steel rockers and have had no issues or come backs . these where never broke in or under any loads . just tested under oil pressure .

hyd lifters , what a joke ! i rebuilt a 340 a few years ago with a hyd stick in it , had no luck with getting them adjusted , we used chrysler adjustable rockers and push rods . i went through three cases of johnsons lifters , even called them , got '' they need to bed in '' but they would never seal up the piston at the top , they all kept creeping down , even without a pushrod loaded on them . did a oil pressure test on the lifters themselves in the bores . ran the motor over three time per test , during this rotation all of them pressured up . then on the stop i could see them creep down . did this several times replacing them , even changing bores with them to make sure it wasn't a block issue . but after three cases of johnson's lifters , i purchased sealed power lifters through summit and that closed the lifter issues . so if you like i have cases of johnson hyd lifters i'm selling , i've sold some to guys with regular stamped steel rockers and have had no issues or come backs . these where never broke in or under any loads . just tested under oil pressure .
It’s my understanding that sealed power are Johnson lifters .

i just sent off for 2 set of solid lifters. will be here friday. if i don't like the looks of them il send them out to be reground.

It is not just the surface finish...it is the rubbish metal. When will it ever sink in.....

not what summit said , i believe they where the summit brand , they are sealed power lifters supplied to them . where seal power gets them is ? and big bill , i've got three cases of mopar type johnson hyd lifters sitting in my shop i got from spiro at redline cams . i'm sure they would work on a non adjustable rockers on a hyd cam i hope .

Auto Transport Service
Back