• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Brake firewall Reinforcement Plate

GTX 440

Local time
10:51 PM
Reaction score
I recently removed the Brake Power Booster Unit from my 1971 Plymouth GTX. (Original Power Disc Brake Car) The unit was very difficult to remove from the firewall holes (Like the bolt pattern was incorrect) Behind it, I found this Firewall Reinforcement Plate. Somewhere in the cars life, someone took a grinder to it and cut out a big section. Looks like they had the wrong reinforcement plate for the car.

Does anyone know what this plate would have fit? I am just curious. I have not seen any pictures like this one, with 8 bolt holes and assuming the triangular shape was duplicated in the cut area and mirror imaged.

I ordered the correct plate (for my application) and it just has a large round hole and 4 mounting holes.

I have always had good luck asking my fellow Mopar gurus questions on this forum. So, I thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks!

Firewall Reinforcement1.jpg

Firewall Rinforcement2.jpg

Looks like someone modified it for the later 2 bolt master cylinder.
Doug

The hole is in a different place for manual vs power brakes. Power is higher up. Looks like they had a manual plate and made it fit Power brakes.

You are keeping power brakes? That's the round hole type.

Thanks for your responses. Yes, I am going to keep the Power Disc Brakes. I bought the new plate along with the linkage from Roseville Moparts. A little on the costly side but, I know that I have the correct parts and gets rid of the past cobbled up mess.
The booster is out for a re-plate and rebuild. So, I should be able to assemble it in a few weeks.

Thanks Again!

Auto Transport Service
Back