• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering belt rubbing on water pump pulley at high RPM. Need help!

Nismobishi

Local time
11:37 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just installed the correct alternator bracket system for my 65 Satellite with a 440. I also installed the 2 groove crank pulley and the no A/C water pump pulley set from 440 Source. Everything looks good and there is about 1/3" to 1/2" gap between the power steering belt and the nose of the water pump pulley. I noticed after a test drive that there is a rub mark on the water pump pulley from the P/S belt. There is a nice gap and I didn't hear any noises or anything. The test drive went great. What could cause the belt to rub like that at high RPM? Is that not a large enough gap? Everything is aligned nicely. If you look at the pictures you can see the rub mark on the pulley where the belt touches is as it flexes at high RPM.

20231001_170237.jpg

20231001_170244.jpg

They do that with OE pullies too... Doesn't hurt a thing... Don't worry about it...

Good to know! I know the belts flap around a little bit but I was just surprised to see that rub mark. I wasn't sure if I should get a smaller belt or maybe a heavy duty belt or not. Only enough, my PS pump looks like it takes a 1/2" wide belt but the crank pulley is thinner for 7/16" belt. I ended up using a 7/16" belt so it fit the crank pulley but it goes down a little deeper into the PS pulley. I don't know of this is the pump from the 361 the car used to have or the 74 motor home that the 440 came from. I know the PS pulley is 4-3/4" diameter.

Here is my old abomination of a pulley and alternator setup. I wanted to do it right finally. It had some made up alternator mount, 4 groove crank pulley, and the alternator belt was on the furthest groove out.

20230703_162125.jpg

Last edited:
I installed the same setup from 440 Source and I have the same issue. I'd forgotten about it until I saw this thread! Seems like its fine. I had my 70 out for 2 hours today with no problems. But come to think of it. They provide the belt and it comes up quite a bit to tighten it. Maybe a smaller diameter belt would do the trick. Hmm...

That's what I was thinking. I bought my own belts. I have a 7417 (42-5/16") on it right now. I have a 7410 (41-13/16") that I will try tomorrow if I can get it around the pulley. The 7420 (42-13/16") will fit too but that would be even longer that what I have right now.

That's what I was thinking. I bought my own belts. I have a 7417 (42-5/16") on it right now. I have a 7410 (41-13/16") that I will try tomorrow if I can get it around the pulley. The 7420 (42-13/16") will fit too but that would be even longer that what I have right now.
Please post results! :) It took me a while to realize that for my alternator the belt diameter seemed too large because it came really close to one of the bolts. I got a smaller diameter belt and problem solved. I wonder if the alternator belt part number is for the alternators with larger pulleys? Anyway, I'd be curious to see what you find out!

Please post results! :) It took me a while to realize that for my alternator the belt diameter seemed too large because it came really close to one of the bolts. I got a smaller diameter belt and problem solved. I wonder if the alternator belt part number is for the alternators with larger pulleys? Anyway, I'd be curious to see what you find out!
I put on the smaller belt today and got a little more clearance. I had to use my thumbs to ride it around the pulley in order to get it on but once it got into the groove it was loose enough to adjust the tension. The adjustment bolt is locked down at about 1/4 of the way down the slot. It still rubs very slightly at high RPM but since everyone says that's normal, I'm done with it:)

Here are a couple pictures with the 7410 belt installed.

20231002_144553.jpg

20231002_144537.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone (myself included) questions it & doesn't think it's right... But they all do it & it's never caused an issue.... So ignore it, there are bigger things to concern yourself with.......

Auto Transport Service
Back