• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Cooler - Really???

short stack

Local time
2:41 AM
Reaction score
How necessary is the power steering cooler on the 70 roadrunner 383? Not going to be a race car. Not going to autocross. Not going to go fast. Just take it to ice cream on friday nights. To me it looks like just one more potential for leaks but I do have the original and can make it all pretty and black if necessary. (BUT, its BUTT UGLY way up there on the engine!!)

Yes, I did my search before posting this question, but the only thread I found was somebody that said his p/s oil got hot at over 100 mph!

thanks

short stack

I asked myself the same questions when cleaning everything up for my 69 Charger R/T. I ended up putting mine on and thinking if it ever leaks, I will just take it back off. Not sure how necessary they are, but they seem to sell for ridicules prices.

I dont think chrysler would have put them on if it wasn't necessary. Maybe not so necessary for the lazy sunday cruise, but they do serve a purpose

They were used on the 'heavy duty' package and they do function to help keep the oil cool when you are 'using' the car hard. Put a gauge on it and see how hot it gets....lol. I have smelled burnt oil in PS pumps before.

Good for heavy duty use, like police or taxi in urban areas. Cruising' on a Sunday afternoon, not as much.

The only purpose mine served was to tear all skin off my arm when wrenching on the engine!!!

The only purpose mine served was to tear all skin off my arm when wrenching on the engine!!!

LMAO! daily occurrence with me I lost count of the number of trophy's I get on my arms and hands lol

There is a section in the service manual I think that talks about the PS cooler

my 383

Attachments

• 100e2416.jpg
    100e2416.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 253
Ah, someplace else I can put a temp sensor for a graphic readout of stuff in the car:
Outside air at grille
Coolant temp
Engine oil
Transmission
Differential
Cylinder heads
Exhaust gas
Power steering...

My first 69 GTX had one. Currently I am trying to get all the parts together to convert my non power over to power steering.I have the cooler and the pump. I have seen the cooler only for sale at swap meets for over $250 so hold onto it in case you don't install it. they are worth a lot. Matt

Got the ps cooler cleaned up and restored. Moved it from the dirty shelf to the clean and ready to install shelf!

thanks for all the advice

short stack

Attachments

• 2014-03-26 11.17.45.jpg
    2014-03-26 11.17.45.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 180
Years ago I pulled one off a 70's ford that was nearly the same and put it on a 4x4 ramcharger.... for the crazy money they get for originality

Auto Transport Service
Back