• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Gear Box Rebuild?

MT_Mopar

Local time
4:09 PM
Reaction score
Well, I have a heck of a dilemma. My power steering gear box is a POS in my 67 Coronet 500.

I have the K member pulled and on the ground, and I am replacing all the ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.

My power steering gear box leaks like a sieve - bad deal. I don't know jack about these.

I do have the service manual and the gearbox works fine except for the leak.

Is there o-rings and seals in these? How hard are they to rebuild?

How hard is it to convert to manual steering? I wouldn't have to deal with all this leak crap then. - Car is just a weekend warrior anyway, no power steering would not be too big of a deal... I guess. Might give me some more room for headers too.

The circled area below is where the main leak is at, all of the ends probably leak. It was a heck of a mess before I cleaned it up.

When I dumped the box it looked like tranny fluid, is that what is normally run in these?

Thanks for any ideas and assistance.

John - Montana

PS1.JPG

PS1A.JPG

I would pay the hundred. manual steering requires a different steering column, and Pitman arm.

Are you kiddin me?? Less than 45 minutes and the worlds problems are SOLVED!! Well, at least in my little world!
YOU guys, and FBBO fricken ROCK! Thanks a ton. :hello2:

Now, I don't have to worry about soiling my nice drive train.

On to the next problem... LOL

No sweat, I love 67 Coronets. I drive a 66 sedan with a 440 six pack around on nice days.

Auto Transport Service
Back