• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering issue

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:04 PM
Reaction score
After getting back together, I just fired up the car for the first time and the power steering goes hard left. I have heard of this issue before; can you please tell me what is the fix?

Thanks in advance.

There's a shuttle valve at the high pressure feed to pump. Loosen the bolts enough to move the shuttle with mild taps with hammer, wrench etch. Jack up front of car so tires are off the ground. Fire up car, tap shuttle until the steering gear doesn't drive left or right. At this point I like to restart engine and see if the steering wheel moves, if so adjust again.

There is a valve on top of the steering gear box, that differentiates line pressure from left to right. The front wheels should be off the ground to center that valve properly. You going to slightly loosen that valve, where the two 7/16 bolts, that holds it to the gear box. Be careful, loosen it to much will blow the O rings out. With the engine running, your going to "tap" that valve laterally with a small hammer, either towards the front of the car, towards the fire wall. It takes only a small amount to correct it. Sorry, I don't recall which direction, as it was in the late seventies since I did this adjustment.

Thanks guys! I'll try it in a while & report back.

- - - Updated - - -

Just fixed it. Worked like a charm. Thanks guys!!!! As a token of my appreciation........

url_9.jpeg

2009082113322834epiccleavagelifetimecensorswomansexybreastsmiledemotivationalposter1238519513_1.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back