• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering issue

junkpile

Local time
4:47 AM
Reaction score
69 charger 440 284/484 cam. Never had this issue before, when backing up at recent cruise night and then again at an auto store the power steering just stopped, had to fight wheel like a manual steering car. after reving it up a little problem went away and backed it up as normal. I replaced the gearbox a couple of years ago, and there is no binding in the steering system. Pump belt is tight with no slippage, fluid is full. Any ideas what may be going on? just don't want to hit something due a power steering loss.

thank for the help in advance guys.

junkpile

Since you have to increase the rpm to get it to work right, I would start with a possible problem in the pump or the lines. Not really sure but that is where I would start.

If no leaks or kinked return line Lucas makes a terrific tune up additive. I would drain system , refill with fresh and some Lucas P>S> tune up..

o.k. thanks guys I will give that a look over.

Auto Transport Service
Back