• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering issue

451Coronet

Local time
3:00 PM
Reaction score
Was cruising around about a week ago and lost power steering. There was a whine and slight vibration then steering became numb and difficult. I'm suspecting power steering pump, but before I order one, is it possible it could be the steering chuck or the valve body atop the steering chuck? I ask because I have already removed the power steering pump and when I spin the pulley by hand, fluid comes out the hose and valve body. Removed both as a unit, figured might as well replace both.

In a '67 Satellite small block 4 speed. Engine and accessories aren't original to car, used to be 383. So power steering pump is whatever manufacturer came with that particular SB.

Well, you already have them off, so cant really diag it now. I would say its more likely a steering gear issue.

Well, started cleaning stuff while I got it all out and gonna reinstall everything tomorrow (later today, it's 6am EST now), to try and figure out the culprit for sure. Would take 2 or 3 days til I got my new (reman) pump anyways.

I know modern day rack and pinion setups need 'bled' when opening the system. Does the same go for our old Mopes as well?? Seems the pump pushing the fluid thru (if it indeed still works) would be enough. I mean the return line goes straight back into the reservoir which is (or should be) full of fluid.
Train of thought being, with everything cleaned up, and some fresh fluid, I can go ahead and start eliminating possible faulty parts.

Got everything back together, put in fresh fluid and fired it up. I could see fluid being swished and moved around the reservoir, even splash out, so pump is obviously working. No difference in power assist (or lack thereof) when I rev engine up either. So I'm at a loss.

Just because you see fluid moving in the reservoir doesn't mean its pumping or charging the high pressure side that goes to the steering box, it just means the rotor on the pump is turning. Only way to really know is to check the pressures, or switch with a known good pump. As far as bleeding the system, you should be able to just turn the steering from lock to lock, meaning go all the way left then all the way right, should burp the system. Don't do it with the cap off the pump, or you might have a mess.

You could use a pair of needle nose plyers and pinch off the return line. Very briefly. If the pump is making pressure you will hear it. If nothing happens then the pump/relief valve is bad. If it does make pressure with the return line blocked then the issue is in the gear box.
This is a crude way to diagnose. But without the proper pressure guage set it will due. Just know pinching off the return will achieve max pressure quick. Hold too long and the weakest link in the system will reveal itself and make a mess at the same time

Ok so hate to bring this back up, but did that check. No pressure at all. So got another pump hooked everything back up, started the car and steering wheel jerked counterclockwise and nearly took my hand off!! Thinking bad relief valve?? Something didn't fit back together right. Left it running for a sec and tried to turn the wheel, when I couldn't, I shut it off. At least I know the new pump is good, def have pressure now.

Lines were correct. Was the gearbox, pulled the relief valve body (steering body, whatever that lil assembly is called), and the lever and spring underneath were sheared off.

Dang. That sucks man! The little lever and spring are hard to replace. Well, sorta.... you can go to a junkyard and find a Dodge B-Van, it'll have the same set-up inside. Best to go to a "u-pull-it" type junkyard. NO ONE will know what you are asking for if you have to describe it to a person sitting at a counter!

I actually somehow broke the lever on my dodge B-150 van when I put it all together. I think maybe the valve was just so out-of-whack. You know, you have to adjust the valve body up and down the get everything centered. Can be a big pain in the ***....

Anyway after I broke my lever off, I needed the van for work so I stole the lever out of the steering box of my 1971 Charger! Thank god I had that.

I HATE steering problems!!!

Thanks!! Know of a couple local yards with plenty of old B Vans as well as some old Mopars. Would be much cheaper and quicker to be able to replace just the rod and spring.

Auto Transport Service
Back