• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Pump ID Help - Early Saginaw?

Opinions wanted, On my 64 Dodge with the sloppy feeling power steering, I put a later model pump on , and I swear, It now has better "road feel" like a later year car. Is this my imagination or a reason for it to be so? I am thinking a change in the pressure.....MO

Mo,
B4 i can venture an opinion, i need to know what type was the old pump and what were it's operating pressures vs what is the new type of pump and it's operating pressures??
The old floppy drive system was, i believe, an attempt to get a better steering feel (read lower flow rates and pressures) at high way speed, yet provide full pressures and volumes for parking snd low speed driving conditions. Was it successful ???? Probably not but that's just an opinion.
Pump Volumes can be changed by increasing punp RPM, which will result in lower steering effort. The Saginaw pump has different operating characteristics (pressures and volumes) than the round resivour pump
Bob Renton

Auto Transport Service
Back