• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Windows '70 GTX

DM70GTX

Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and could use your help. I'm restoring my 70 GTX with power windows option. I have the original glass, original two front regulators and two front motors, and the 4 switches (2 rear, 2 for the front doors). I have nothing at all for the rear and my doors are empty. I'm trying to piece together all the components that I am missing to complete the power windows setup. I have a friend who has everything for MANUAL windows. My questions are: For the rear, can I use his manual frames and hardware simply add power regulators when I find a set? For the front, can I use any of his manual components and just add my power regulators? I don't know much about the window system and wondering if most of the manual window components are compatible with power regulators? What parts will I be missing? My understanding is that the front has tracks but no frames? I've done a lot of research online and can't seem to piece it together. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've researched this quite a bit, but I'm no expert. I think the power and manual systems are completely different and nothing interchanges (not much anyway). You can 1. find the rear power window regulators 2. Install all manual 3. install an aftermarket power window setup.

Oh, and my advice... it sort of depends upon how close the car is to being drivable? If I had a little bit of time, I would look for some rear power window regulators. I believe the glass & tracks are the same (manual vs power), but the regulators are different. The front/rear power window motors are the same (except rear/convertible) and pretty easy to find at a local auto parts store.

So....buy the stuff from your buddy & use half of it. Install his window tracks in your front doors but use your power window regulator. Use your original glass up front. In back, use his glass & tracks, but find some rear power window regulators. NOTE: factory glass comes in "tinted" and "non tinted" versions, so compare your original door glass vs the glass your buddy has.

While your at it, look at a factory service manual and make sure you collect all the little "up stops", "down stops", window rollers, etc. (as needed).

It sounds like you also need the power window wiring harness??? If you do, you could always just build one yourself since it's not many wires and nobody can see it once installed. I've read some things that it's a good idea to add a modern relay for each power window (search online)

Last edited:
I've researched this quite a bit, but I'm no expert. I think the power and manual systems are completely different and nothing interchanges (not much anyway). You can 1. find the rear power window regulators 2. Install all manual 3. install an aftermarket power window setup.

Oh, and my advice... it sort of depends upon how close the car is to being drivable? If I had a little bit of time, I would look for some rear power window regulators. I believe the glass & tracks are the same (manual vs power), but the regulators are different. The front/rear power window motors are the same (except rear/convertible) and pretty easy to find at a local auto parts store.

So....buy the stuff from your buddy & use half of it. Install his window tracks in your front doors but use your power window regulator. Use your original glass up front. In back, use his glass & tracks, but find some rear power window regulators. NOTE: factory glass comes in "tinted" and "non tinted" versions, so compare your original door glass vs the glass your buddy has.

While your at it, look at a factory service manual and make sure you collect all the little "up stops", "down stops", window rollers, etc. (as needed).

It sounds like you also need the power window wiring harness??? If you do, you could always just build one yourself since it's not many wires and nobody can see it once installed. I've read some things that it's a good idea to add a modern relay for each power window (search online)
Great advice and you just confirmed most of my research as well. I know that a company called XV sells a conversion kit but I'm not sure if I can use my original switches and also have a mix of original power regulators in the front and XV power regulators in the rear. I better play it safe and look for original rear regulators. Any thoughts?

For the motors, can I simply give my local autoparts store my car's make and model, or is one of those things where I need to give a make and model of a more recent car which happens to use the same motors as my car? Thanks

The glass & tracks are the same... The regulators are obviously different... However they aren't that different, the mounting plate bolts to the same place but one mounts a motor & the other mounts a crank... The arm that actuates the window is the same...

If you are creative it is possible to grab the motor, mounting plate, & gear from a power window regulator and the arm from a B body regulator & build what you need... I've done a few sets in the past...

The basic parts (motor/mounting plate/gear) interchange from around 64-87.. So all you need is standard regulators & pretty much any set of power regulators & you can build what you need... B body, C body FMJ Boy doesn't matter...

Then comes wiring...And the first thing I'm gonna tell you is use relays.. That is the difference between windows that work well and windows that are slow/sluggish if they work at all...

There are lots more tricks but that'll give you something to consider...

Oh, yeah the Nu-Relics/XV stuff works and can be adapted to stock switches...

Here's a set on ebay which shows all the necessary parts. There are some special power window parts which are different from manual window cars such as the bottom stop and the bracket that attaches to the glass.

Auto Transport Service
Back