• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Preference on Tires?

Thanks for the photos! Your Bee has my setup exactly (but my RWL are mounted inward, from 2003). Wish I could get that bold "Goodyear" lettering today. The Mickey's RWL aren't as bold, it seems (more letters = smaller?).
I've been looking at a lot of photos online & it seems like the most popular RWL are the Cooper Cobras or the BFG Radial T/A's. I'll likely go with one of those, & probably keep my 255/60 rear, 235/60 front setup.
Great looking Bee & Coronet !!

Through the years I've had several sets of the BFG T/A's and they were pretty good tires, but then they jumped up in price significantly. That's when I looked into the Mickey Thomson S/T's and found them to have a higher speed rating, for less money so that's why I went with them. I liked the way the Goodyear GTII's looked but couldn't find/buy them anymore.

I ran BFG T/A’s 8 yrs ago and the MT sportsman S/T’s and cooper cobras had noticeably improved grip both in cornering and off the line. The coopers and MT S/T’s have a similar tread pattern that is a bit more aggressive than the BFG’s.

I ran BFG T/A’s 8 yrs ago and the MT sportsman S/T’s and cooper cobras had noticeably improved grip both in cornering and off the line. The coopers and MT S/T’s have a similar tread pattern that is a bit more aggressive than the BFG’s.

I have no data to support my opinion but it seems to me the MT S/T's are a bit softer in compound than the BFG's.

Through the years I've had several sets of the BFG T/A's and they were pretty good tires, but then they jumped up in price significantly. That's when I looked into the Mickey Thomson S/T's and found them to have a higher speed rating, for less money so that's why I went with them. I liked the way the Goodyear GTII's looked but couldn't find/buy them anymore.
I see that TireRack.com has Goodyear GT II’s, but it doesn’t look like Goodyear makes any RWL tires.
Anyone know if they do?

SublimeSixpack, where do you get your M/T tires? I’ve looked at a couple of different sources, but I can’t find them. Can you post a pic of their RWL’s?

Anyone have any problem with BFG letters “turning brown within a couple of weeks due to leaching”, as one reviewer on TireRack has claimed?

Where did you buy your M/T’s ?
I’m looking for an online source.

I see that TireRack.com has Goodyear GT II’s, but it doesn’t look like Goodyear makes any RWL tires.
Anyone know if they do?

SublimeSixpack, where do you get your M/T tires? I’ve looked at a couple of different sources, but I can’t find them. Can you post a pic of their RWL’s?

Anyone have any problem with BFG letters “turning brown within a couple of weeks due to leaching”, as one reviewer on TireRack has claimed?

I bought my Mickey Thompson S/T tires from Summit Racing.

004.JPG

Summit has the M/T sportsman S/T’s.

The Goodyear GTII’s I believe are not offered any longer in 15” size, hence no RWL.

Want to change to 15X7 Magnum 500 wheels and 215/60R15’s front and rear, OK for 67 Coronet R/T???
Thanks

I get my Coopers from tirecrawler in Downey, California. Free shipping and drop at the shop. The hottie on the phone always checks the build date at the warehouse. My last Goodyears on a modern car were the Assurance model. Egg shaped miserable shake. No more Goodyears. I ran Eagles for years.
I'm ordering the Cooper Cobras & going to a 255-70-15 in the rear to get the extra 2" dia. & 1" lift on the rear (gonna stick with 235-60-15 on the front).

RE tirecrawler.com .... great prices & free shipping on the Coopers. But "Danny" (I have no idea if he's a "hottie", LOL) told me on the phone that he has no way to check or match build dates for me. :( (Maybe I need a sultry, female voice!)

Well, the Coopers probably sell fast enough that I'll end up with pretty recent tires!

My buddy is looking to get Coopers as well, great to hear about the good difference from BFG tires. We'll just finish installing the new brake kit and dually mud flaps on the current F350 project before he will decide for the new tires.

Here's the final results ....BEFORE (top) ....& AFTER (bottom) .....

IMG_2792 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2868 - Copy.JPG

Went with the 70's in the rear, filling the wheel well just a bit more.

Appreciate all the info that you guys provided!

Rick

Looks good, Rick! I'm really happy with how the Coopers ride on my car - smooth as silk!

I like that a lot! I think you will like the 70s, i do on mine.
It's not real obvious in the photos, but the 70's give me an extra 2" overall diameter, which fills the rear wheel-well better & gives me 1" extra bit of lift on the rear deck.
I'm happy with the outcome!

Now, I've got the decals in my garage, but I'm really on the fence about this...

zzz.PNG

Last edited:
These Cobra's show a max inflation of 44 PSI.
The door sticker for original tires shows 28 PSI.
What kind of tire pressures should I run for normal county roads & highways? (non-aggressive driving)

Saw a commercial the other day, advertising a sale on Coopers, select tires. I went online and was surprised that the Cobras were among the "select tires". My tire guy was not aware of the sale, but he went online and found it and since his company matches other guys sales, I will be getting four in a couple weeks. Mine are about 8 years old now, so I guess its time.

These Cobra's show a max inflation of 44 PSI.
The door sticker for original tires shows 28 PSI.
What kind of tire pressures should I run for normal county roads & highways? (non-aggressive driving)
I'm running about 38 in mine. No particular reason for that number, though. I do like to keep the fronts higher for easier steering with no PS. And I tend to do a lot of highway driving when I have it out.

Auto Transport Service
Back