• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pretty Light for a 73 Charger

padam

Local time
6:48 AM
Reaction score
I finally got my car on the scales
3405 with 1465 on the rear.
3655 with me in it.
That’s about 150 less than I thought.

Now I’m a little less proud of my engine.
IMG_1820.jpeg

That gives me hope for racing our 72 charger...I would say that is a respectable weight for a 73.
What weight savings things have you done? Is that a glass hood?

I would say that's a terrific weight for a big block 73 Charger. About 400 lbs less than I would have guessed.

What engine and whats been removed. I think a base 318 charger was 3,600 pounds.

Original 318 auto car now 413 4speed.
The hood is light weight fiberglass, no hinges.
I’ve just done a lot of common stuff to lighten it.
It has 72 bumpers, only 2 brackets in front instead of 4.
The only interior panels are the front doors. The rest of it I took out along with the headliner and heater box after mice got in it when I had it stored one winter.
Dash is mostly gutted.
It does have factory front bucket seats for now.
I switched it to manual brakes and steering.
Light weight wheels and tires.
It does have 2x2 x1/8 sub frame connectors.

I just made a new personal best 11.97 at 113.

Oh yeah, last time out I removed the high beams , buckets and front parking lights in my quest T get in the 11’s

Last pass of the night 11.918.
Now that I’ve made several 11 second runs I will post my combo in that thread when I get some time.

Car kept getting faster, I got a bye in the first round and ran 11.824 at 114.65.
I was afraid to dial that low next round.
Dialed 11.89,
Lost on a breakout 11.8891 slowed to 109

Car kept getting faster, I got a bye in the first round and ran 11.824 at 114.65.
I was afraid to dial that low next round.
Dialed 11.89,
Lost on a breakout 11.8891 slowed to 109
Ouch! Kinda hard to run a new best, and then dial it like it was a normal lap.....

3405 for a 73 Charger with a big block and 4 speed is surprising to me, on the face of it, but manual steering is -60lb, fiberglass hood is -80lb, no HVAC is -40lb, misc. interior, light buckets, 1/2 bumper brackets is another -100lb. Light weight wheels, no spare, no jack, etc. ....It all adds up.

11.90's is great. You got me thinking about some stuff now.

Auto Transport Service
Back