• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pretty smart, great "sales" idea, and one heck of a cool car

I am old school for sure as I grew up in the 60's and 70's. But it is cool they are building such cool cars. The thing is most cars today that are real fast have power adders which the older 60's and 70's muscle cars did not use which makes some newer cars very fast. And the thing is they are making the engines to hold up to all that power. Put 700 HP to a stock 340 or 440 and you may leave pieces on the ground without some aftermarket bottom end parts. The technology was not there in the old days for manufactors to sell and warranty boosted cars. But then I see the N/A Scat Pack hitting low 12's and high 11's which is darn fast. You cant beat technology and I am so happy to see these new cars being built. But that said I still love old muscle best as I would never sell my 63 for any new car. And the fact I only have about 12k total in my 63 (including the price of the car) to run in the 10's works for me as I could never afford a new car that's 30k and up at this point in my life being retired on disability. And I do love the attention the older muscle gets driving down the road. Lets face it people see the new cars everyday all over the road but the old muscle they do not and the old cars get a lot of second looks driving down the street. I love them all but will always love the 60's and 70's muscle best. Ron

414042033.jpg

Last edited:
I am old school for sure as I grew up in the 60's and 70's. But it is cool they are building such cool cars. The thing is most cars today that are real fast have power adders which the older 60's and 70's muscle cars did not use which makes some newer cars very fast. And the thing is they are making the engines to hold up to all that power. Put 700 HP to a stock 340 or 440 and you may leave pieces on the ground without some aftermarket bottom end parts. The technology was not there in the old days for manufactors to sell and warranty boosted cars. But then I see the N/A Scat Pack hitting low 12's and high 11's which is darn fast. You cant beat technology and I am so happy to see these new cars being built. But that said I still love old muscle best as I would never sell my 63 for any new car. And the fact I only have about 12k total in my 63 (including the price of the car) to run in the 10's works for me as I could never afford a new car that's 30k and up at this point in my life being retired on disability. And I do love the attention the older muscle gets driving down the road. Lets face it people see the new cars everyday all over the road but the old muscle they do not and the old cars get a lot of second looks driving down the street. I love them all but will always love the 60's and 70's muscle best. Ron

View attachment 690495
Ron,
I would walk right past a parking lot full of Hellcats to ogle your red '63! There are a father and son duo who regularly make Cruisin the Coast. They have a 62 Black Plymouth Savoy 413 Max Wedge car and a 64 with a 426 solid lift Hemi, both 4 speeds, both with 2x4s. They are 2 of the most awesome cars out of 8,000 that show up. They look and sound amazing and I would rather drive either of them down the 1320 than a Demon! The connection between man and machine is lost with the newer technologies.
As far as tech and power adders and output goes, there have been supercharger and turbocharger equipped engines from the factory going back to at least the 60s with Paxton, and then the utterly dismal years between 1975 and 1989 or so. There were some stellar examples of what power adders were capable of, like the Buick Grand National GNX, and one of my favorite cars to look upon, drive, and modify-modification and ownership coming in in that same "bargain" economy as you have experienced with the fortunate track you have had with your car, and that is the Chrysler (Mitsubishi) Conquest TSi. The one I had was a blast to drive, mods were relatively cheap, and bang for the buck was satisfying. Then there were dismal failures like the 1980 Turbo Trans Am. I personally embarrassed a few of those in my lightly modified 79 Aspen R/T equipped with the e58 police 360-that in stock form put out a pathetic 190 horsepower, but responded well to "retro" modifications aka trashing the Lean Burn crap, and doing a cam swap. If I would have put the 2.02 340 heads on it with some 10:1 slugs she would have been a beast!
How you managed to buy and mod the beautiful car you have for as little as you have in it AND run 10s is beyond my comprehension, but what an experience that must be, and I can assure you that running an 11 second quarter mile in a car like yours or mine feels faster than doing so in a new Challenger, and the sensations of the old school cars is lost in the cars of today.

Last edited:
Ron,
I would walk right past a parking lot full of Hellcats to ogle your red '63! There are a father and son duo who regularly make Cruisin the Coast. They have a 62 Black Plymouth Savoy 413 Max Wedge car and a 64 with a 426 solid lift Hemi, both 4 speeds, both with 2x4s. They are 2 of the most awesome cars out of 8,000 that show up. They look and sound amazing and I would rather drive either of them down the 1320 than a Demon! The connection between man and machine is lost with the newer technologies.
As far as tech and power adders and output goes, there have been supercharger and turbocharger equipped engines from the factory going back to at least the 60s with Paxton, and then the utterly dismal years between 1975 and 1989 or so. There were some stellar examples of what power adders were capable of, like the Buick Grand National GNX, and one of my favorite cars to look upon, drive, and modify-modification and ownership coming in in that same "bargain" economy as you have experienced with the fortunate track you have had with your car, and that is the Chrysler (Mitsubishi) Conquest TSi. The one I had was a blast to drive, mods were relatively cheap, and bang for the buck was satisfying. Then there were dismal failures like the 1980 Turbo Trans Am. I personally embarrassed a few of those in my lightly modified 79 Aspen R/T equipped with the e58 police 360-that in stock form put out a pathetic 190 horsepower, but responded well to "retro" modifications aka trashing the Lean Burn crap, and doing a cam swap. If I would have put the 2.02 340 heads on it with some 10:1 slugs she would have been a beast!
How you managed to buy and mod the beautiful car you have for as little as you have in it AND run 10s is beyond my comprehension, but what an experience that must be, and I can assure you that running an 11 second quarter mile in a car like yours or mine feels faster than doing so in a new Challenger, and the sensations of the old school cars is lost in the cars of today.

I do agree with you. I know there was boosted cars way back but I guess the technology was nothing like today where they add so much power to the eng. And with computers today they can make them work so great. I remember Mopar Muscle mag took a crate 360 and dyno'd the eng at 359 hp. They added a supercharger and still used a carb and got over 600 hp almost doubling the power ! I guess my point was that boosted power adder cars of today make crazy power because of the power adder. But of course they still make more power today N/A because of technology of course. Its just most old muscle did not use power adders back in the day on the street when I grew up. A few did but most were not boosted. Funny as we speak of technology I was reading about the Bullet Mustang coming out making 480 N/A hp and then I read it has 12.0 comp ! And it will run on pump gas. But it also has 2 injectors per cyl as it has direct inj right into the combustion chamber and it also uses a ported inj in the intake runner I believe. But I thought wow that must be a very efficient eng to run that comp on pump. Ron

That's 2 very awesome Mopars !! And thank you for the kind words about my car. Ron

I think a fair summary of the boom of performance from 1964-1971 was the popularity of the "muscle car" and the formula to achieve that performance was simple: compression ratio, cam and lifters, head design, carburetor(s) and most of all, stuffing a big and/or powerful motor in a smaller, lighter car.
That's what they had to work with, and there were some outstanding cars that came from it. The 68 Hemi A-body cars, and so many more.
I was shocked to find out that the 2005 GTO weighs appx 4,100 pounds, but my wife's 65 GTO only weighs about 3,500 pounds!
Now that is what intrigues me about the potential for a 70 E-body or say my 70 Roadrunner, in the 3,600-3,900 pound range or even a gutted A-body to be fitted with a Hellephant or Hellcrate motor (like the Roadkill vs Gas Monkey challenge)
That would lend itself to even faster and quicker performance than the bloated pigs that pass for cars today.

Unfortunately, we'll probably be bloated for awhile. Chrysler doesn't seem to have the pockets to re-engineer a lighter package like the last generation Camaro and Mustang. They learned from Mercedes that it's far cheaper to add 200 more hp. than to reduce 1,000 pounds.

I'm droolin' over post #23. I've always wanted a 62 Savoy. But I wouldn't kick sand on the 64 !! Top Notch.

I've always wanted a 62 Savoy.
The first time I saw the 62 413 Max Wedge Savoy in the picture was a few years ago. I HEARD it before I saw it! We were in downtown Biloxi and he rolled in with the cutouts open. My 292°/.509 cam in my 440+6 is no slouch, especially with the cutouts open, but that 413 was a SYMPHONY!

For what it's worth. New Scat Pack 4450lbs race weight with driver. 115 mph at that weight is about 535hp naturally asperated on pump gas.
Doug

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back