• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Primer, Bondo, Paint, Clear help

Hijinx

Local time
5:57 PM
Reaction score
Hello,

I do not know much about body work, but decided to give it a try. Working on 2 fenders... so far i took them down to bare metal and gave them 3 coats of DP90 on the outside. The inside i did with KBS rust seal and KBS undercoating.

Here is my plan, wondering if it's correct or if you can recommend changes...
1. Plan is to let them sit for a week, light sand, clean them and apply bondo then sand the bondo, touch up as needed.
2. Once ready, going to DP90 again, 2 coats. Give it a light sand.
3. Do 2 coats of color, black... light sand and final coat of color.
4. Do 3-4 coats of clear.

Any advice? changes? am i completely off on my plan?

1. You can apply the filler directly on the DP90 during the re-coat window without sanding.
2. After applying the DP90 over the body work I would apply a 2k high build primer in the re-coat window.
3. Block the 2k
4. Seal. One coat of DP90 with a touch of reducer works great as a sealer.
5. Color coats. If you plan on scuffing before the final coat I would let sit overnight.
6. Clear.
7. Cut buff as needed.

Dp90 is epoxy? I would do the epoxy, plastic work, 2-3 coats of a high build primer, block it down with appropriate grit according to paint TDS, sealer if desired, color until achieved, 2-3 coats of clear. I myself prefer single stage but bc/cc is good.

If you do black,go with single stage.

Yeah, thinking "Eastwood Interstate Black Single Stage Urethane" just have to research to see if it's good.

If you're thinking of a specific color don't forget the "bargain" lines. Limco Supreme shoot great and is cheap. I hear great things about Tamco too.

1. Da Metal with 36 then finish with 80. Look for any Oil canning.
2. Clean like crazy with Solvent.
3. Clean again.
4. Sand with 120
5.Clean again.
6. Apply 2 coats epoxy.
6a. Lightly sand epoxy with 220 lightly.
7. Wet entire fender with Alcohol or Body wash and take florescent light and look for dings, stretched metal and any irregulars.
8. Dingle/dolly what ever needed.
9. Respray with alcohol or body wash look for issues.Bondo time, beofre to set block and shape time. Have three beers burp and fart a few.
10. three coats 2 k.
11. Sand after 3 hrs.
12. 2 more coats 2k.
13. Spray with body wash again look for bumps lumps and pin holes fill pin holes with dilute body filler.
14.black base 3 coats then touch sand lightly 420
15. clear 3 costs in 3 hours.
16. Sand 600
17. 2 more clear
18. fix runs after 24 hrs
19 cut and buff

Auto Transport Service
Back