• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problems with a new Eddy Carb

Mike67

Local time
11:31 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with the carb bases not sealing?
I bought my 1406 for my wifes car and could not get the thing to idle, found leak on the front base. Thought it may have been the spacer, block sanded it smooth on both sides even usesd some gasgacinch on the spacer side and it leaked. Took the spacer out and it leaked.
I pulled an old Carter AFB out of the cabinet, its been sitting for at least 10 yrs, was on a car that had so much rust and old gas in the tank it was like mud. Bolted it on the car fired right up and idled perfectly at 850.
Im dumbfounded and really disappointed all at the same time!

Last edited:
Not seen that but a piece of thick glass and some sandpaper could fix it.

Not seen that but a piece of thick glass and some sandpaper could fix it.

I took some 1500 on my body block and did the spacer. Ill try it this weekend on the carb base. After a couple of passes I should be able to see any high or low spots.
Thanks

I would put a straight edge on it to check the surface to see if it is warped. IF it is and was purchased recently return it for a replacement,,,,,

Send it back! Just about everything these days is screwed up! I don't think there's such a thing as QUALITY CONTROL these days! Really gets me pissed! just my 2 cents!

Once you start messing with it it is YOURS. That might not be the only problem.
You wouldn't eat the food you got at a restaurant if it smelled funny or tasted bad would you ? Or would you just put more catsup or salt on it ?
Call the place you bought it from and return it. If you paid with a credit card and they won't take it back put a hold on the payment by disputing it.
The carb should install needing only the idle screw being adjusted.

I'm not a fan of Webber/Edelbrock carbs at all...
had nothing but problems with them
some people love them & sware by them,
I'm not one of them people

but to each their own

good luck whatever you decide

I'd just clean up the old "real Carter AFB" run it
way better carb to begin with

Unfortunately I bought the carb back in April from a vendor from the swap meet. Ill double checknot this weekend.
After talking it off and putting it back on 10x my back had had enough, it almost went flying across the yard...
Im with you Bud, Im not a fan either...

That carb must be really messed up to have a warped baseplate.

Have you tried double gaskets with sealant between them? Like Permatex....aircraft sealant.

What gasket are you using? Have had good luck with the 1/4” Black Mr. Gasket.

The 1406 carb is an emissions based carb. Throw it in the trash.
The 1405 is the performance based carb.
Don't bother with either one of them, instead get the new AVS2 650cfm carb. It's night & day difference over the older models.
Check out the reviews for the AVS2 carb online.

That carb must be really messed up to have a warped baseplate.

Have you tried double gaskets with sealant between them? Like Permatex....aircraft sealant.

That was my last straw and was about to do it when I remembered I had the old AFB on the shelf. So to eliminate a crack in the manifold I wasnt seeing, decided to throw it on instaed of dealing with the Eddy and sealants.
I was tired , back was aching as this was about the 8-9 time I had taken the carb off and on.
This weekend im going to see how true the base is.
Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back