• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Larry - 62 Dart 440

Trans is making a horrible noise.
In neutral, somewhat, in reverse more, in forward gears worse.
Never heard such a thing from an A833.

Not drivable.

I'm out of energy.

Trans is making a horrible noise.
In neutral, somewhat, in reverse more, in forward gears worse.
Never heard such a thing from an A833.

Not drivable.

I'm out of energy.

Take a break and come back to it, least a 4speed is easy to pull :) Hope it's something simple.

Throw-out bearing?
Usually if it's a throw out bearing you will hear it change as you push the pedal in and out, but anything is possible, once you pull the trans if it's the throw-out you will feel it not spin smoothly for sure.

Clutch, pp, flywheel, bearing, came out of my other car, long story, but there was nothing wrong with it at all, not many miles, everything was in fine shape.

A friend, who knows A833s, said it's the input shaft bearing, if I have that correct.
He's rebuilding another trans for me, did one for me 2 years ago.

I hate pulling trans, I had to pull that garbage A855 three times, complete junk.

So it's trans out this weekend, fun.

Working on getting trans out.
Only part left is dropping it out, bought some threaded rod to put in the lower bellhousing holes to guide it.
Seems it will have to be tilted a bit more than I wanted, not sure if loosening the engine mounts will help relieve stress on the mounts, or not work at all as that will not provide all that much wiggle room.

20220723_125414.jpg

Working on getting trans out.
Only part left is dropping it out, bought some threaded rod to put in the lower bellhousing holes to guide it.
Seems it will have to be tilted a bit more than I wanted, not sure if loosening the engine mounts will help relieve stress on the mounts, or not work at all as that will not provide all that much wiggle room.

View attachment 1318373
Yes, loosening mounts will help it tip back. So will a floor jack and a block of wood on the balancer. Good luck.

Oh, it wants to tip back, jack under trans now, as well as wood blocks under the bellhousing to keep it there for now.

Just don't want the engine mounts to suffer.

Oh, it wants to tip back, jack under trans now, as well as wood blocks under the bellhousing to keep it there for now.

Just don't want the engine mounts to suffer.
Ah, I mistook what you were saying. Yes, definitely loosen the bolts so they will rotate rather than stretch.

I got the trans back in and had to modify the header collectors, cut/weld/fit/etc.

Later that night, I realized I put the pipes on upside down.
I couldn't stop laughing at myself, not even upset.
So I spent the next weekend putting the exhaust together, again.

Finished fabbing/installing the door panels too, what a difference.

20220820_191059.jpg

20220818_223406.jpg

Our first official outing in it, couple parks next to us, guy gets out, "Wow, this will be nice when it's done!"

"It's done." I said, "It's not going to get much more done than this, but thanks anyway."

20220820_191125.jpg

20220820_105551.jpg

I swapped out the mile long b-body Hurst knuckle buster handle, especially in reverse on the heater controls, for a 68 a-body handle.

It's near perfect, could use an extra inch, so I think a trip to the hardware store will solve that, threaded sleeve/rod.

Anyone else use a different handle that works well?

20220711_220108.jpg

20220814_142212.jpg

1 year ago to the day it was first road worthy, holy Toledo!

8/16/2021

20220816_085806.jpg

It's been a while, have been driving it, and recently decided it was time for an upgrade, and to start filming this stuff. Enjoy.

Finally all sorted out and able to drive on a regular basis.
Never heard of the gearshift lever issue before, but Brewer's new shaft is an extremely nice piece.

Auto Transport Service
Back