• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proof nobody pays much attention to avatar pics around here...

I noticed it but it was hard for me to read. When I could read it, it made me sad to think about.
It is a kick to the butt to learn that some people don't regard a person as much as the person regarded others.
Just reality, my friend. True for most, if not all.
The truest example of "life isn't fair" is to believe in another, go out of your way for them to the
point of personal sacrifice in some cases for them....and then have it thrown back in your face
later.
Karma is a fantasy in the real world; can't go through life doing right by others for the sole
reason of it coming back to you somehow...don't hold your breath waiting on it to.

No, there's only one reason to go through life doing right by others and helping one another -
it's because it's what we're supposed to be doing. It's the right thing to do, regardless of how it
comes back to you later on.
Hell...as it turns out, it's sometimes done in spite of the grief that's to come as a result. :)

Last edited:
Ed, you had a large hand in helping @CudaChick1968 and that’s where I got more familiar with members here.
You were working your tail off keeping objects and bids in order. I donated a weird 3-way Charger R/T Hemi “Enlarged” photo from a car show that honestly was a total mistake. The 35mm film camera got stuck on the last picture on the roll that it was exposed 3 times.

I communicate here by pecking one finger on a phone and so I don’t do long messages. I takes me forever.

During one of your Birthday roundhouse sessions I chimed with a picture of an interior shot of a 4- speed C-body. Someone else guessed correctly that it was a ‘65 300L. I had been meaning to spill the beans on this site manly because you responded to me that I had kind of a holy grail, or something like that.

Cat’s Out Of The Bag, ‘65 300L Manual Trans, A/C and More

I kind of wrap myself into projects which keeps me content. Lately I sold a ‘68 Coronet R/T project, moved from “drive by shootings” in Illinoise, moved to a “saner hill” in Arkansas , I also acquired a 4-door ‘68 Coronet 500 parts car and the ‘78 4-door Fury pursuit vee-hickle. The engine block for the ‘78 also showed up.

I know I’m talking about material things but maybe really it the quest and the satisfaction of achieving an end. Or is it really a beginning.

Do I know what I’m doing? I don’t ask or answer just do. A new friend here is a 78 year old Vietnam Vet and he spoke of being in nam in the Army in an abandoned French camp with an Air Force base next door. He spoke of the almost daily planes taking off next door that had the Army troops running for tents, canopies, cover because the U.S. Planes rained Agent Orange on Everyone Everyplace Everywhere. He’s a Rod and Custom builder for himself and a Dominos player.

Your Fred is a mirror image of my mine. I find that fascinating.

View attachment 1433329

View attachment 1433328

View attachment 1433327

“I’ve got blisters on my fingers!”
You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.
I've done a little bit of that phone posting thing myself on here when out of town or what have you, but my
meathooks tend to hit 3-4 letters at once on that tiny keyboard (and I've got the largest cell phone that's
just shy of being a "pad" made!), so I can't even imagine that being my only interface with the site.
Holy cow man!
Gimme this big ol' PC with the big monitor (no, not a TV - a monitor) and a white full-sized keyboard, please....
(can't see the keys on a black keyboard)...makes logical sense anyways, since I spend countless hours making a living
on the dang thing.
----------------------
Yes, God bless Leanna. I was returning the favor there is all; it was the least I could do and once committed to something
for someone else, I tend to wear it out until done (by comparison - things done for myself, corners may get cut. Just sayin').
You wanna see what good there is left in the world, well....you'll witness it in spades during something like that.
Filled my heart, it really did. <3
-----------------------
Oh, that 300L.... man oh man, it truly is a holy grail car. (I spy an 11" B&B clutch in it, too!)
I could easily imagine a "see the country" trip in such a ride; sure could NOT in Fred by comparison (hey, that's not his bag!).
I know that special car is in the right hands, which to me is half the battle right there. Good stewards are in dwindling
supply, what with the current-day trend of seemingly everyone "making cars their own" being so popular.
It's so much more satisfying, at least to me, spending time to make them "right" as opposed to opening the online aftermarket
parts stores and just buying a bunch of crap to throw at 'em.
"Hey look, I slammed another Mopar and put Donks on it. Ain't it cool?"
Oy...no, it's not. At all.
------------------------
Fred's brother by another mother is looking fine, sir! :thumbsup:
Next little mini-project for Fred is to get the rad support straightened up, the splash pan put back on the car and to install
the brace from the bottom of the support back to the k-frame.
These were all "loose" in the trunk when I got Fred those dozen years ago and couldn't figure out why - until last year,
when I went to replace worn out sway bar bushings and such (turns out, the sway bar is bent, too).

I asked the previous owner what was up and rather sheepishly, he finally admitted that he and his best friend John (Fred's
previous owner who passed from cancer) would sometimes have beer-fueled "burnout contests" in front of his cinder block
garage on Friday nights - and there may have been occasion or two where the brakes didn't quite stop Fred from bonking
into the garage wall nose-first....
Explains the repro front bumper and the raggedy job of straightening Fred's grille, I suppose. :lol:
I can't bust chops too much over that story though - the guys were obviously the best of friends and that's just such a
rare thing to find in this life; I'm envious actually.
I'll do my best shadetree straightening and repairing (and yes, even some blackout attempts behind the grille) and make
Fred a little better than he was, as usual.
As you say, "keeps me content".
Thanks for writing, it's good to hear from you!

Without having met you personally,
I can only base opinions of your
likeability on how you've offered your
assistance, and expertise on this site.
You seem like a straight shooter to me.
I have about 5 very close friends that
would travel across the country to come to my aid, no questions asked.
I consider myself lucky.
But you could become #6 to
someone.
And none of them cares
one iota what my avatar is.

Last edited:
Hey Ed, I'm wondering if your 68' GTX (Fred) has the shoulder seatbelt option that mounts along the roof in the headliner. I also have a 68' GTX I restored many years ago and after I mounted the new headliner I realized I might have covered up the bossing where these seatbelts mount. I never found them in all the boxes of parts the car came with so I figured they didnt have them in the first place. If in fact they did and you have them could you please post a pic of them to show location of where I need to puncture a hole in the headliner to get to the mounts.

Hey Ed, I'm wondering if your 68' GTX (Fred) has the shoulder seatbelt option that mounts along the roof in the headliner. I also have a 68' GTX I restored many years ago and after I mounted the new headliner I realized I might have covered up the bossing where these seatbelts mount. I never found them in all the boxes of parts the car came with so I figured they didnt have them in the first place. If in fact they did and you have them could you please post a pic of them to show location of where I need to puncture a hole in the headliner to get to the mounts.
No sir, Fred was born sans shoulder belts I'm afraid.
His born on date was December 1, 1967.

Without having met you personally,
I can only base opinions of your
likeability on how you've offered your
assistance, and expertise on this site.
You seem like a straight shooter to me.
I have about 5 very close friends that
would travel across the country to come to my aid, no questions asked.
I consider myself lucky.
But you could become #6 to
someone.
And none of them cares
one iota what my avatar is.
Far as I'm concerned, I enjoy your posts on here very much. You gots skills!
You're also hanging out in a part of the country my bucket list says I want to see for myself
one day....well, anyways....
Hey, I like your avatar. Fenderwell to the max! :thumbsup:

Oh, I'm not looking for attention or anything like that my friend.
The choice of avatar pic was actually something I've had saved for some years now, a product of life's results
I've witnessed as each day (ironically?) renders me ever closer to "the last one standing" as family and friends
disappear - and the few who I'm left with ain't really worth the effort, honestly.

Oh - and choice of avatar pic was made independently of getting so deathly ill.
Coincidence at best...
Instead, it was a bit of an experiment - figured I'd toss the pic up here to see if anyone paid any attention to
Turns out, either it wasn't thought-provoking enough - or they don't.
Tried the same on FB with it a while back.
Same result.
Experiment over with entirely expected results. :)
How could we not notice it and I knew why you did it. I refuse to give into the thought that you are looking at life through darker thoughts. My wife is working her way through PTSD and I deal with those thoughts everyday. Life is for the living, is what I tell her everyday. If I told you that I ended up here on this forum everyday because I'm working our way through this fight to the other side, would that make me a better person. I talk a big story of a life, a life I left behind for this fight. I do what I have to and so will you, now get up and get with it. Do I care about you, the short answer is yes! You have no idea who I am, but I will say, life can be **** up Ed, you already know that and so do I. Everyone of us has walked this path in one form or another and some walk out and some don't. Which one are you, keep walking!!! Look over your shoulder, you'll see us right behind you, no man left behind, now that's how I roll.

We go way back Ed online, Even previous this sight.
HeyO pretty well summed it up.
Were with ya.

I reckon that's why there's been cases of folks staging their own deaths (just to see who attends their funerals).
That's some methed up shiyat, right there. :)

No, attendance at a wake or funeral often isn't about respect or love, unfortunately - it's often more to do with "local
politics", especially in small towns, where it's more important to be seen attending the "correct" events.
It's certainly the case around here - but as I didn't grow up here, have no relatives here and am not part of the
political scene here, I attend events for the folks I respected/loved as individuals for the right reasons.

That doesn't score me any points with the potentates around here - which suits me just fine.
When I started my career in the trucking industry, I was not given a warm welcome. There was a small circle of old school "knights of the road" who gave me help and support in the early years. They have all passed on before me, and I missed attending the services of all but one, because I was either behind the wheel, or catching five hours of sleep before my 3am start. I am thankful I got to express my appreciation to them while they were still on the road. My absence wasn't from lack of caring. It was a testament to the lessons they taught me, that kept me carrying the torch in that Peterbilt, 40 years later.

Last edited:
How could we not notice it and I knew why you did it. I refuse to give into the thought that you are looking at life through darker thoughts. My wife is working her way through PTSD and I deal with those thoughts everyday. Life is for the living, is what I tell her everyday. If I told you that I ended up here on this forum everyday because I'm working our way through this fight to the other side, would that make me a better person. I talk a big story of a life, a life I left behind for this fight. I do what I have to and so will you, now get up and get with it. Do I care about you, the short answer is yes! You have no idea who I am, but I will say, life can be **** up Ed, you already know that and so do I. Everyone of us has walked this path in one form or another and some walk out and some don't. Which one are you, keep walking!!! Look over your shoulder, you'll see us right behind you, no man left behind, now that's how I roll.
I reckon you know who I am well enough, knowing my past dozen years of medical landmines....
Nobody got me covered when it comes to sheer willpower.
Step on up, challengers.
If anyone thinks they do....they'll lose.
----------------------------------------
I never lose my sense of humor in such times, though. (Insert short Ed Story here)
Example:
When they had me in the hospital this time, I told them they had 24hrs to poke, prod, treat, whatever
and that I was going home in the morning.
That was a somewhat ridiculous thing to say at the time, since they pretty much carted my dead ***
in there to begin with... :lol:
I meant it, though - as they found out the next morning at 8am and I was dressing to leave.
"Woah there Mr. Gibbs, you are in no condition..."
I held my hand up to shush the lady, looked around and said "you ain't got nobody big enough to stop me"
very calmly and patiently.
Doc chuckled a little - then the smile left his face when he realized I wasn't joking.
He knows how I am...
And I left.
I didn't need to stay in there and make some corporation richer. I got all the diagnosing I needed, the prescriptions
were written and filled at the local drugstore and my happy (dead) arse went home...
To be honest now, though - it got dicey for a while. Doc called it "gravely ill".
Hell man, graves are what I'm used to climbing out of...but ok, it got even me nervous for a few days.
Done deal. Healing fine now.
------------------------------
But now, back to the avatar "experiment". That one, like I said before, was started before all hell broke loose
medically here - and in fact, has been tried other places in the past in the same manner, too.
Yes, the message seems pessimistic as hell. It can even seem like a cry for help in some instances...
In my case, it's more of a matter-of-fact statement of truth about life, one that easily keeps a fella humble
should he get a little big in his britches.

To be honest, it bugged me that a)I was not up to being functional anywhere, including on this forum other
than a couple minutes reading here and there, for several days; b)it didn't seem to matter if I didn't, as the
forum logically went on about normal activity without the likes of me participating.
Analogy for life, there eh?
Also reminded me of the very avatar I had posted here right before health went to hell, too.
Ironic? Self-prophesizing? Hell, I dunno.
Maybe.... :rolleyes:

We go way back Ed online, Even previous this sight.
HeyO pretty well summed it up.
Were with ya.
Bless ya my friend.
Hey y'all keeping score at home. For the record:
- @1967coronet was the only one to notice I was missing on this forum, at least enough to post about it
- @Tinker67 was the only one to write anything indicating concern for my well being over the avatar itself
I am humbled, indebted and grateful to both for their concern. :thumbsup:

Everyone can go missing for a period. When my day comes, it will be stated on this forum that people come and people go, that's how it works. I've been a pallbearer 18 times in my life and one day, if they can find one, just one for a cremated lost soul, it will be my turn. That's how the deal was struck for all of us when we came into this world, none of us will make it out alive............ Such is life.

A little late to the party, without saying. We all love you Ed and wish you nothing but the best. Your friend Mike.

I look at avatar's to identify peoples post not for messages. Someone changing avatar I may not look at the post if title doesn't look interesting. Keep up your good work to make me more observant.

I am the same way as Fran, I get used to someones avatar more so than their name here so if I don't recognize the pic, I probably blew right past the thread unless it interests me in some way.
When Roger changed his it threw me for awhile.
P.S. I see you changed yours again you sly devil you :lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back