• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proper disposal of Old Glory

Charles Cook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:50 PM
Reaction score
How should I dispose my old tethered flag. I am asking here because I no longer trust google for the correct answer any longer. The wife purchased a new one and I want to dispose correctly. Thanks

Your local Boy Scout Troop will probably take care of it for you.

How should I dispose my old tethered flag. I am asking here because I no longer trust google for the correct answer any longer. The wife purchased a new one and I want to dispose correctly. Thanks
In the past I have taken mine to one of the local veteran's posts. I have also burned mine in a large fire (in a fire pit) and then buried the ashes.

Start with proper folding of
the flag. Start a fire large
enough to consume the flag.
The flag should be placed on
a rack over the flame so as
not to touch the ground.
Pledge allegiance to the flag
as it burns. Salute the flag
(ashes) after burning. Bury
the ashes in a suitable
container. (so as not to
touch the ground).
And I've seen some military
recite the lords prayer after
the burial, though not
protocol.
Thank you, Charles, for your
show of respect.

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread Charles. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have two faded ones to dispose of & I just looked up my town and found out that there's a drop box at the local VFW and I can also bring them to the fire station.

I flew the flag outside for the
nine years my son was in the
Army. He was deployed 3
times to Iraq.
When he was discharged
and returned home, that old
flag was pretty much worn
out, frayed, and tattered.
What that flag represented
to me is difficult to put into
words. My son and I placed
her out of service in our
back yard at his direction.

I had a pamphlet on what to do to dispose the American Flag but can't find it right now. It had a lot of what was mentioned in this thread.....

In our veteran club, we dispose of old flags given to us by the community just by cutting them up with "Good" scissors.
Once they are cut up they are no longer considered a flag.
usually we go in strips perpendicular to the stripes.
Frank

In our veteran club, we dispose of old flags given to us by the community just by cutting them up with "Good" scissors.
Once they are cut up they are no longer considered a flag.
usually we go in strips perpendicular to the stripes.
Frank
I guess we know now, why
Charles Cook asked the
question.

Great news. I spoke with a local scout master here in my area and he’s going to take care of it for me. The way he explained it to me was, they cut the Stars and Stripes up separately and burn them in a certain ceremonial order out of respect. I just didn’t want it done improperly. Thanks everybody. I hope this helps everyone in the
future.

This stuff get me emotional and I wanted Old Glory respected to the end.

Once my new one is installed, I will post pictures proudly.

As a long career military guy, I appreciate you checking for the proper disposal of our nations flag !

Thank you Mike !

Great news. I spoke with a local scout master here in my area and he’s going to take care of it for me. The way he explained it to me was, they cut the Stars and Stripes up separately and burn them in a certain ceremonial order out of respect. I just didn’t want it done improperly. Thanks everybody. I hope this helps everyone in the
future.

This stuff get me emotional and I wanted Old Glory respected to the end.

Once my new one is installed, I will post pictures proudly.
I get emotional too.....too bad more 'Americans' don't feel the same way.....

Now that we know how to properly dispose of our flag it might be nice to show our flag the respect it deserves while it is flying.

Illuminate it so it does not fly in the dark there are other flag etiquette rules but seeing our flag being disrespected like that really bothers me. I myself have stopped in many businesses and gov. buildings and asked them to please bring our flag down at night or illuminate it. If the business didn't correct the situation, I stopped calling them and stopped giving them my money.

Auto Transport Service
Back