• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proper disposal of Old Glory

Thanks, Mike, for your question. Being a Vet myself not enough respect is given to any of our most honored and treasured symbols of our heritage. I still get a tear in my eyes when they play the national anthem and rising Old Glory.
OIP (1).jpg

In the past I have taken mine to one of the local veteran's posts. I have also burned mine in a large fire (in a fire pit) and then buried the ashes.
I just took about 10 old tattered flags to a local American Legion 2 weeks ago they accept them also if they didn't they were going to the VFW...

I have a related but different question. Does anyone know of a flag restorer? I have the flag that was placed on my father's casket, then presented to my mother at my father's memorial service in 1972 when I was 12 years old, to commemorate his service in the Navy. It lived at our beach cabin for decades and was raised in the morning and lowered in the evening when our family stayed there. I believe the other 3 member families flew it as well. I remember my brother blowing Revelle in the morning and TAPS in the evening when the flag was raised and lowered while he was in the Boy Scouts. This had special meaning as my father was cremated and his ashes were placed in the Pacific Ocean (illegal at the time) by a commercial fishing cousin directly in front of our cabin. Well, after the 1st generation beach owners passed, the children of two of the families sued my cousin and me to liquidate the partnership and the cabin was sold last year. I got the flag back and it is in poor condition as a result of the life it lived. There's no way I'll ever give it up and would like to have it restored to usable and respectable condition. Any recommendations guys?

Fold it correctly and place it in a flag display wooden box with a glass front and place on a mantle or shelf where you can admire it.

Some of the display cases have room for his medals, his CRACKER JACK picture, etc.... keep CASKET flag AS IT IS!!! New cotton old glory flying would make him proud.

EM2/SS veteran

Wonderful thread, a good read, and of course the expected recognized participants in a patriotic theme. :thumbsup:

When my son was in scouts (eagle), we would accept old flags and dispose of them properly. Now that we've moved, I’ve given our old flags to my neighbor. His grandsons are in scouts and he takes care of them for me. I’ll have to get the troop information to keep the honor going. Thank you for taking the time to honor old glory and what she stands for.

@SlingLow, keep flag as is, untouched: case it and place in your home, THAT is honoring your father imo. Trying to track down my grandfather's casket flag (US Army Air Corp) to place with this.....
20131128_100303.jpg

a "wood & metal trophy" of WW2.

Some of the display cases have room for his medals, his CRACKER JACK picture, etc.... keep CASKET flag AS IT IS!!! New cotton old glory flying would make him proud.

EM2/SS veteran

@SlingLow, keep flag as is, untouched: case it and place in your home, THAT is honoring your father imo. Trying to track down my grandfather's casket flag (US Army Air Corp) to place with this.....
View attachment 1621080

a "wood & metal trophy" of WW2.
Fold it correctly and place it in a flag display wooden box with a glass front and place on a mantle or shelf where you can admire it.
Thanks @JDmac72chrgr and @Charles Cook ! I do have this shadow box that my Uncle Chuck, dad's next oldest brother and fellow Navy Vet put together for my brother and me before he passed. My older brother got the original medals and I got reproductions. Not great pics but one of my prize possessions.
20240304_083934.jpg

On the back:
20240304_082623.jpg

Attach THAT to bottom of flag case & wall mount it!!! DAMN!! That "KNUCKLE DRAGGER (MM)" was every where!!!

I was "Electricians Mate" 82-88, its a SNIPE thing

My dad's flag sits on top of my book case and has been there since 98....

We have a local Funeral Home that will request flags in their radio commercials. They place the worn out/old flags over the box of a veteran before they are cremated together. I have been bringing them flags collected from other friends and neighbors for several years now. Class act in my book.

Yep BSA. Flag retirement ceremony.
As an assistant scout master for my son's troop I participated in a couple of these ceremonies. The flags were cut in strips as previously noted. The troop would assemble around the campfire after dark, everybody in their Class A uniforms, and the flag strips would be distributed. The pledge of allegiance was recited to begin the ceremony after which each of the young men in turn would say a few words about what the flag meant to them, what they were thankful for or a personal rememberence of a family member who served before placing the strip on the flames.
I remember it being a moving experience.

Auto Transport Service
Back