• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PS Pump took a Dump!

69a100

Local time
7:18 PM
Reaction score
I replaced this mofo 2 years ago and now this! 94 Dodge Caravan w/3.3 was replaced like I said and I was out runnin errands and was in the gas station and had to bang a U-ey to get to the pump, cranked the wheel to the left lock. And when I started to come out of it I had that oh **** muscle time moment bringing it back to center. Fluid is full, no loss with this happened or thereafter. During cruise speeds 25-40 I have partial assist but not much, coming up a 10% grade at WOT and doing 65 MPH it appears that I have full assist, but highway speeds aren't really the place to be checking assist of full travel of the wheel! But at those speeds what little I did it appears to be fine. When at traffic lights, I tried to bleed the system by going back & forth without any improvement in assist, doesn't really want to leave center. Again, the fluid is full!
Did I blow a O-ring or something else like a piece of debris getting hung up in the system restricting flow? Just a weird *** situation on how it happened, any ideas? Thanks

Could be a restriction in there but I would also take the belt off and spin the pulley by hand. May be the bearing's failing? You'll know if it freewheels or seems too tight. Good luck I bet R&R on that is no fun..

Could be a restriction in there but I would also take the belt off and spin the pulley by hand. May be the bearing's failing? You'll know if it freewheels or seems too tight. Good luck I bet R&R on that is no fun..
Thanks, beaner. The pulley is fine, no slipping while idling and spins fine even with rev's. That's what I'm thinking? That when I turned to the lock, something jammed up and won't release. I'm going to try and lock it to the right and see if something good happens? Will report back. Wish me luck.
Yes it is a royal PITA to change it out! I've changed it twice already. The first time was because the housing rusted through and caused a bad leak. Replaced that with a Boneyard unit that lasted over 6 years before it died, this one is less then 2 YO and now this. Piss me off! I'm at the point of saying screw it and live with it as is!

Well I'll be a Suck Egg Mule! Just got back from out checkin on the steering. Fired it up and turned the wheel to the right, WTF? Life is god in both directions, lock to lock, I don't get it, what happened? Weirdest stuff I've ever seen, we'll se what happens? Thanks to all the members that helped!:poke::poke::poke::poke::poke:

Well I'll be a Suck Egg Mule! Just got back from out checkin on the steering. Fired it up and turned the wheel to the right, WTF? Life is god in both directions, lock to lock, I don't get it, what happened? Weirdest stuff I've ever seen, we'll se what happens? Thanks to all the members that helped!:poke::poke::poke::poke::poke:
Hopefully it keeps on working. Maybe some crud got somewhere it shouldn't and then broke free? Who knows..

Breaking free by sitting overnight? Hopefully a gremlin hasn't found a permanent residence with my PS system? If it happens again, I'm just going to deal with it as is and hope fix fixes itself? PS jobs on these transverse engines is a real PITA!

You had relief valve hang open...The fluid was bypassing the rack... At higher rpm's there's more flow so you got some assist... The relief found it' way back to the seat when you shut the engine off & fluid flow stopped trying to hold it open...

You had relief valve hang open...The fluid was bypassing the rack... At higher rpm's there's more flow so you got some assist... The relief found it' way back to the seat when you shut the engine off & fluid flow stopped trying to hold it open...
But I made 3 other stops before I came home, and each fire up was the same. Could it be heat related? I guess I'll find that out next time I'm out & about.

Look upon it as a gift... LOL... Hopefully it never occurs again... If it does I'd pull the high pressure line off the pump, pull the big fitting off the back of the pump that the line screws into & inspect the spring & relief valve... Debris may have hung it up, the spring might have broken... Something is going on & it's 90% certain it's right at that location... Good Luck!

Look upon it as a gift... LOL... Hopefully it never occurs again... If it does I'd pull the high pressure line off the pump, pull the big fitting off the back of the pump that the line screws into & inspect the spring & relief valve... Debris may have hung it up, the spring might have broken... Something is going on & it's 90% certain it's right at that location... Good Luck!

If it does happen and I have to pull the pump to fix it? It ain't going to happen like I said, I'll live with it!

The relief valve is located directly behind the fitting where the high pressure hose attaches to the pump... You should be able to remove it with the pump on the engine....

Auto Transport Service
Back