• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[PSA/WARNING] - Centerbores out of spec on new Bendix PRT1132 11.75" disc brake rotors

Bendix. My order was almost exactly a month later - 07/13/2016.

-Kurt
That's crazy man. I must have gotten lucky because my wheels fit like they should. Hopefully they don't hassle you on the exchange

That's crazy man. I must have gotten lucky because my wheels fit like they should. Hopefully they don't hassle you on the exchange

Rock Auto will take the two back under Bendix warranty. I think it's ridiculous that I should pay an extra $17 to ship each rotor back - IF I can get one off by March 12th - and possibly be sent the same garbage back!

My bet is that our batches aren't even remotely related. Did yours look like mine, or were they machined differently?

-Kurt

They were definitely machined different than the OEM pair I took off. Mine look similar to yours. They were ordered for a 77 dodge charger SE but are actually on a 74. Summit would exchange them for free including shipping , just for future reference lol

They were definitely machined different than the OEM pair I took off. Mine look similar to yours. They were ordered for a 77 dodge charger SE but are actually on a 74. Summit would exchange them for free including shipping , just for future reference lol

Hey, I'm not forgetting that either. And both my emails to Bendix and Rock Auto link this thread.

dw2hbs.jpg

-Kurt

Interesting thought - if putting it inside the spindle/hub shaft would prevent the rim from shrinking at the same rate. This would be ideal if the hub were aluminum due to the faster shrinkage rate.

Might have to try it at any rate. That, or shoot a couple of CO2 bottles straight at the shaft on the outside...

-Kurt
Yes CO2 is another option. The wheel IMO wouldn't shrink much because the metal is thinner. Maybe a little heat from a propane torch just before pressing it off? I'll post a pick of my rotor bought in 2001 brand ??
disc 4.jpg

Last edited:
Yes CO2 is another option. The wheel IMO would shrink much because the metal is thinner. Maybe a little heat from a propane torch just befpre pressing it off? I'll post a pick of my rotor bought in 2001 brand ??View attachment 399972

If the rim wasn't nicely painted, freezing the inside with dry ice and then prop torching the rim center wouldn't be too bad an idea.

-Kurt

I didn't mean enough heat to burn paint just to warm it a little. Well maybe not.

Drive the studs out so you can rotate the rotor out so you do not damage the rim more

Status update: Joe requested the manufacturing numbers off the side of the rim, as you see here. For the record, the one not on the car (but still machined incorrectly) is marked "G5311M1 N. Th.23 87mm | 303150 ni α α"

2q1tqie.jpg

And Rock Auto also replied:

2n7obvb.jpg

Essentially "we will assist you to the lowest common denominator." Well, they can expect the same from me for my business from now on. I can understand their policy, but they didn't even try to explain anything one wouldn't have already seen in the returns or offer any sincere apology that they couldn't do anything further for me. Nor did they even address the fact that the rotor is stuck to the rim, and that my window of return with them ends March 12th. Blow it out your gascap, Rock Auto, you just lost a customer!

-Kurt

All I can say is that it sure was nice 'back in the day' that 99.9% of parts always fit like they were supposed to. Course, most of that 'old' stuff was made in the U.S. of A......

Maybe you can that Joe to contact Rock Auto for some special return treatment.

Rock Auto's reply to my followup. More patronizing bull$hit, but they actually make an effort to give a half-answer to my question about the March 12th date this time around.

1zyaatx.jpg

Rock Auto can kiss my fiddle-dee-dee! NEVER AGAIN!

-Kurt

New update - Joe at Bendix called me today. Not only are they going to cover the return back, their entire R&D department is on it right now, and want to inspect the rotors on their return. Couldn't have asked for nicer people too - not only have they read this entire thread, Joe even did some research that led to a similar discussion on the Slant Six forum.

Now that's enthusiast-level service right there!

Joe also asked me if I had any factory documents that indicate the hub center diameter on the Chrysler rims of the period - not so much for proof for the exchange, but for the engineering department to look at for reference. I'm going to look through the factory parts manuals, but I dare say I won't find it there. Any ideas?

-Kurt

Last edited:
I is good when manufacture's try to fix mistakes and make there product better
Did you get them separated with out wrecking rim

Just a quick followup - I realized my original measurement of the rotor was rather haphazard, and I decided to check it again. It's 71.80mm on the nose. About 3/4 of a millimeter bigger than the 2.8"/71.12mm factory spec (I did find some specs that say the rim is supposed to be 2.8125"/71.437mm). Either way, that's a huge difference.

xcprfc.jpg

Also, this is what happens when I put it on top of a 15x7" rim off a B150:

2m65qie.jpg

Witness marks:

2ebadxu.jpg

I is good when manufacture's try to fix mistakes and make there product better
Did you get them separated with out wrecking rim

Not taking anything apart until I have at least one "emergency" rotor here that I can put the car back down on IF I can split the rim and rotor.

I'm going to try the bottle jack method first...under the first building I can find that's built with a foot gap between the ground and the structure. :p

-Kurt

That's awesome they are taking care of everything for you . When I get some time I am going to take a front wheel off and measure the rotor snout just for grins.

A door opening and a 6' 4x4 work too. Hope it comes off without anymore grief.

That's awesome they are taking care of everything for you . When I get some time I am going to take a front wheel off and measure the rotor snout just for grins.

Do let me know what you find. Doesn't matter whether it's 10" or 11" brakes.

A door opening and a 6' 4x4 work too. Hope it comes off without anymore grief.

Ooooooo...some brilliance right here. If I can find a steel door opening (I know the wood ones in my house wouldn't tolerate it). Gotta think...

EDIT: Neighbor has a dumpster next door. If I can span the 6'...I'm in business.

-Kurt

Auto Transport Service
Back